[Frameworks] Sources for digital "prints" of avant garde classics

Robert Withers withersr at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 15 23:48:31 UTC 2018

Hi all,
This is provide one filmmaker's perspective on digital prints etc. in response to the discussions below. We should be so lucky to be making only classics.
Typically, it has been the independent filmmaker who has subsidized the lab and labor costs of film prints. I remember Hollis Frampton's passionate letter to MOMA on the topic of rental fees for these costly prints (and the artist's presence).
SB was in a fortunate position in his career to insist on film prints only.
Many are not able to take this purist position.
Even today there is a financial consideration to making digital copies. Labs and facilities charge for the service of making digital scans from film prints. The cost is not negligible--neither is the cost of internet services through which to make the scans available.
There are quality issues for the filmmaker as well--I've learned I must carefully hand clean prints before submitting them for a scan--the automatically applied "ultrasound" cleaning has limitations.

A couple of my films from the 1970s are distributable only in digital, but through old-school Standard Def scans that I paid a lab for. Disappointing versions. But making more prints is beyond my scope. I have subsidized a few HD scans of these "period films" and one pal has scanned one for me.
I am also fortunate to be a recipient of support for restoration of one of these films--through film technology at a film lab. It will go through an internegative stage so the prints will be once removed from the camera original. I think digital restoration is probably more advanced--direct from camera original and with color correction options that seem more sophisticated than lab color timing. Oh, yeah, dirt and flaw reduction and transfer to 4K.

I once had the opportunity to view a manuscript of Galileo on the movement of the heavenly bodies, with hand-inscribed equations, thanks to Edward Tufte. It was beautiful and charismatic, but I wouldn't need to read only that version, if I could read it at all. I don't need to read only first editions of my beloved authors.

Film has always lived in the age of mechanical reproduction. Film prints have their aura, but so do digital images.
The aura comes from the viewers as well as the means of production.

I once tried to show an actual film print at a noted college to discuss these questions with the students. But of course the projector wouldn't thread.

Cheers,

Robert Withers
withersr at earthlink.net
202 West 80 St. NYC