[Frameworks] Documentaries within/with a group subject and participatory filmmaker(s)

Scott MacDonald smacdona at hamilton.edu
Tue Jul 10 20:43:02 UTC 2018

*Naaah, Punishment Park is not just faux doc style applied to fiction.
Watkins devised a fictional situation (based on aspects of the political
reality of that moment and a premonition of where reality might go next, as
of 1970), set up so that actors playing their real ideological selves (that
is, cast to play themselves and improvise their own dialogue) could
enunciate what they were actually feeling in 1971 and have their
impassioned arguments with each other documented--as the war in Vietnam
continued.*

*I don't think Sonya is looking for a narrow definition of "documentary." *