[Frameworks] This week [June 30 - July 8, 2018] in avant garde cinema

weeklylisting at hi-beam.net weeklylisting at hi-beam.net
Sat Jun 30 17:24:25 UTC 2018

  <http://www.hi-beam.net/now.gif>

 <https://hi-beam.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e4e99825c1d97f8de6eaffad3&id=dd9a0146d7&e=f36020cad0>

 <https://hi-beam.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e4e99825c1d97f8de6eaffad3&id=18d3ea03a9&e=f36020cad0>

This week [June 30 - July 8, 2018] in avant garde cinema

Enter your event announcements by going to the Flicker Weekly Listing Form <https://hi-beam.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e4e99825c1d97f8de6eaffad3&id=8621d23a07&e=f36020cad0> .

To receive the weekly listing via email: Subscribe <https://hi-beam.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e4e99825c1d97f8de6eaffad3&id=dd3160ce00&e=f36020cad0> .

  <http://shapeshifterscinema.com/img/tsui_entropy-loop_165x241.jpg>
Shapeshifters Cinema Presents Natalie Tsui <>  [July 8, Oakland]

NEW CALLS FOR ENTRIES:
Main Street Landing Gallery (Burlington, Vermont, USA; Deadline: December 31, 2018)
 http://hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls <https://hi-beam.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e4e99825c1d97f8de6eaffad3&id=c182a33b1a&e=f36020cad0> &readfile=1984.ann

DEADLINES APPROACHING:
Rencontres Internationales Sciences & Cinémas (RISC) (Marseille, France; Deadline: June 30, 2018)
 http://hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls <https://hi-beam.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e4e99825c1d97f8de6eaffad3&id=9e2be1eeac&e=f36020cad0> &readfile=1978.ann

Events are sorted alphabetically BY CITY within each DATE.

This week's programs (summary):

*        Gengoroh Tagame's Pornspiration <>  [June 30, Los Angeles, California]

*        No vietnamese Ever Called Me N****R  <> [July 1, Los Angeles, California]

*        A Most Unusual Film Festival <>  [July 1, Los Angeles, California]

*        Films By Mar Citlali + Fabian Guerrero <>  [July 3, Los Angeles, California]

*        Human Bridge <>  [July 5, Los Angeles, California]

*        The Masque <>  [July 6, Los Angeles, California]

*        Show  <> &Amp; Tell: Richard Tuohy &Amp; Dianna Barrie [July 6, New York, NY]

*        Zackary Drucker: Hard To Look At <>  [July 8, Los Angeles, California]

*        Shapeshifters Cinema Presents Natalie Tsui <>  [July 8, Oakland]

SATURDAY, JUNE 30, 2018

6/30
Los Angeles, California: Dirty Looks
http://dirtylooksla.org <https://hi-beam.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e4e99825c1d97f8de6eaffad3&id=053eb64960&e=f36020cad0>
7, Tom of Finland Foundation, 1421 Laveta Terrace
GENGOROH TAGAME'S PORNSPIRATION
MASSIVE presents an outdoor screening of iconic Japanese artist Gengoroh Tagame’s favorite American VHS gay pornography from the early 1980s, including works by Joe Gage and John Christopher. This event will feature exclusive documentary footage depicting Tagame’s long history with the Tom of Finland Foundation, and a discussion of Gage and Christopher’s impact on Tagame’s early career in gay manga and erotic art. In 1984, the non-profit Tom of Finland Foundation was established by Durk Dehner and his friend Touko Laaksonen a.k.a. Tom of Finland. As Tom had established worldwide recognition as the master of homo-erotic art, the Foundation's original purpose was to preserve his vast catalog of work. Several years later the scope was widened to offer a safe haven for all erotic art in response to rampant discrimination against art that portrayed sexual behavior or generated a sexual response. Today the Foundation continues in its efforts of educating the public as to the cultural merits of erotic art and in promoting healthier, more tolerant attitudes about sexuality. Joe Gage, Heatstroke, VHS, 88mins, 1982 Joe Gage, Closed Set, VHS, 50mins, 1980 John Christopher, Centurians of Rome, VHS, 83mins, 1981 Curated by: MASSIVE (Graham Kolbeins and Anne Ishii) $10

SUNDAY, JULY 1, 2018

7/1
Los Angeles, California: Filmforum
http://www.lafilmforum.org/ <https://hi-beam.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e4e99825c1d97f8de6eaffad3&id=4414384057&e=f36020cad0>
7:30 pm, Spielberg Theatre at the Egyptian, 6712 Hollywood Blvd.
NO VIETNAMESE EVER CALLED ME N****R
1968: Visions of Possibilities, part 4. Directed by labor organizer and New York Times typesetter David Weiss, this film spotlights African American responses to the Vietnam War through street interviews captured during the Spring Mobilization Committee to End the War in Vietnam’s April 15, 1967, New York City march. The city-wide protest march, culminating at the United Nations, attracted over half a million participants including Martin Luther King, Jr., Harry Belafonte, Dr. Benjamin Spock, and Kwame Ture (né Stokely Carmichael). Interwoven among the protest footage is an interview with three black veterans, recently returned from Vietnam in 1968.

7/1
Los Angeles, California: Dirty Looks
http://dirtylooksla.org <https://hi-beam.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e4e99825c1d97f8de6eaffad3&id=1828070bf7&e=f36020cad0>
7PM, 2511 Wilshire Blvd
A MOST UNUSUAL FILM FESTIVAL
A 50th Anniversary multimedia celebration of L.A.’s first gay film festival held in the summer of ‘68 -- plus 16mm screenings of two key works from the original event: the frothy, sunbaked antics of MY HUSTLER (arguably Warhol’s most buoyant feature film, featuring a proto-John Waters sensibility) and the Kodakchrome sublimity of JEROVI (a short, sensual retelling of the Narcissus myth.) Picture it: MacArthur Park, 1968. In an attempt to court a growing, lucrative gay male audience, the sexploitation-centric Park Theater (on Alvarado, next door to Langer’s Delicatessen) swaps out its calendar of hetero cheesecake for a boundary-pushing slate of male-only content. Kicking off this seismic wave is “A Most Unusual Film Festival” -- a summer-long parade of the Sixties’ queerest underground hits. Join us as we pay homage to this groundbreaking first public sign of gay erotic filmmaking, where films by Warhol, Jack Smith, Pat Rocco, Mike Kuchar and even the Mekas Brothers collided in happy, horny harmony with lost gems like NUDIST BEACH BOY SURFERS and AN INTERLUDE IN THE DESERT. Featuring: José Rodríguez-Soltero, Jerovi ( 16mm, 11 min, 1965 ) + Andy Warhol, My Hustler ( 16mm, 76 min, 1965 ). $15

TUESDAY, JULY 3, 2018

7/3
Los Angeles, California: Dirty Looks
http://dirtylooksla.org <https://hi-beam.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e4e99825c1d97f8de6eaffad3&id=0dc65cf713&e=f36020cad0>
9PM, Plaza Nightclub, 739 N La Brea Ave
FILMS BY MAR CITLALI + FABIAN GUERRERO
Fabian Guerrero is a first generation Mexican-American immigrant born in Dallas, TX and living in Los Angeles. Their videos and poetry reflect self-love, relationships and the experience of life. Videos include collages of media and authored works that represent Fabian’s upbringing in Mexican culture , including old Mexican films and sounds, movements and songs from childhood. Mar Citlani is chican@, navajo and two spirit. Their identity and the culture they grew up in heavily informs their work in both obvious displays of chicano iconography, as well as nuances and details that they hope only people who grew up similar to themselves will be able to take note of. Their work is built in harmony and in contrast with the constraints of social media platforms and their time, size, and file restrictions as well as their degradation of audio and visual components. Mar Citlani’s piece, "cuerpo," is a collage of imagery showcasing the body in its most visceral modes of enjoyment - the dancing body and the sexual body. Original footage as well as found and reappropriated imagery are layered onto each other creating a continuous pattern displaying a cycle of hedonism and gratification. The Plaza is a latinx gay bar on LA Brea Ave. It is popular for it’s drag shows where queens lip sync to cumbias and rancheras.

THURSDAY, JULY 5, 2018

7/5
Los Angeles, California: Dirty Looks
http://dirtylooksla.org <https://hi-beam.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e4e99825c1d97f8de6eaffad3&id=d5d5f109a8&e=f36020cad0>
8PM, MOTA (formerly Circus of Books Silverlake), 4001 Sunset Blvd
HUMAN BRIDGE
Circus of Books Silverlake was a three-decades-old institution and well-known cruising spot in Los Angeles that had a selection of gay erotica and paraphernalia. This site will be remembered through works by experimental artist Aimee Goguen, whose gritty videos center the human body and use repetition, layering, and orifice to explore sexuality and kink through grotesque, physically awkward experiments. Goguen’s work will be shown with additional video and music by Harry Dodge, Sauvitel Paper, and M.Cay Castagnetto. Aimee Goguen: pterodaktulos sound (2:59 min., 2013) + cake poem (2:35 min., 2011) + hosing (4:44 min., 2015) + slamming one-two-three (3:21 min., 2014) + dogs of church (3:26 min., 2014) + tongue job (3:40 min., 2013) + paddle boxing (3:29 min., 2011) + tub cake (3:21 min., 2012) + human bridge (unknown, 2018) + scream tapes (unknown, 2018) + M. Cay Castagnetto: Anagram, (2018) + Suavitel Paper: Office Doom (5:24 min., 2013) + Soap Commercial (11:13 min., 2015) + General Violation Devour and Pamper Center (2:55 min., 2017) + Harry Dodge: Big Bang (Song of the Cosmic Hobo) (11 min., 2016)

FRIDAY, JULY 6, 2018

7/6
Los Angeles, California: Dirty Looks
http://dirtylooksla.org <https://hi-beam.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e4e99825c1d97f8de6eaffad3&id=105f53b0e0&e=f36020cad0>
8PM, World of Wonder Gallery, 6650 Hollywood Blvd
THE MASQUE
>From 1977 - 1978 the Masque became Los Angeles’ first punk club. Though it only ran for 5 months, the venue paid host to some of the most influential acts of the time: X, Germs, The Go-Go’s and The Screamers. Assembling film and video that illuminates those histories, like LEATHER POLTERGEIST scored by and starring Edward Stapleton from Nervous Gender to Limp Wrist singer Martin Sorrondeguy’s BEYOND THE SCREAMS / MAS ALLA DE LOS GRITOS: A U.S. LATINO HARDCORE PUNK DOCUMENTARY and performances from TRAP GIRL and XINA XURNER, the evening will enliven the former site, now the gallery for production company World of Wonder. The Masque was founded as a rehearsal venue by Scottish-Irish promoter Brandon Mullen in early 1977. The 10,000 foot venue on the seedy Hollywood Strip boasted rent of only $850 a month, making the space exceedingly ideal for show, and by August of that year, the club officially opened as a venue. Though it was shuttered by January by the Fire Marshall the following year, the short lifespan was long enough to acru scores of flyers and band graffiti that still covers the walls of production company World of Wonder’s basement. Michael Interiere, Leather Poltergeist, video, 16min., 1982 + Martin Sorrondeguy, Beyond the Screams Mas Alla de Los Gritos: A U.S. Latino Hardcore Punk Documentary, video, 28min., 1999 + Performances by Trap Girl + Xina Xurner

7/6
New York, NY: Anthology Film Archives
http://www.anthologyfilmarchives.org/ <https://hi-beam.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e4e99825c1d97f8de6eaffad3&id=856b6847f6&e=f36020cad0>
7:30 PM, 32 Second Avenue
SHOW & TELL: RICHARD TUOHY & DIANNA BARRIE
RICHARD TUOHY & DIANNA BARRIE This program showcases six recent films (made over the course of the last three years) by Richard Tuohy and Dianna Barrie. Together Tuohy and Barrie have made invaluable contributions to Australian (and international) experimental film culture, thanks to their founding of nanolab, the only artist-run, small-gauge lab in Australia; the Artist Film Workshop, which hosts open screenings and workshops; and the Australian International Experimental Film Festival, all in Melbourne. Alongside these efforts they have produced some of the most vibrant, visually astonishing, and perceptually challenging films in recent memory - and these six new films show them at the height of their powers. Their sensitivity to surfaces, patterns, and the play of light has always been amply apparent. But in these recent films these qualities are amplified - sometimes almost to the point of delirium - by their inspired orchestration of superimposition and dynamic motion. These films simply need to be seen to be believed. Richard Tuohy BLENDING AND BLINDING 2018, 11 min, 16mm Screens and partitions; windows and shutters; grids, curves and arches. Three peoples, one country: Malaysia. Richard Tuohy ON THE INVENTION OF THE WHEEL 2015, 14 min, 16mm "I've been thinking a lot about the kinds of art, and kinds of experimental films, that mean the most to me. I like work where we sense that the maker has learnt to see the world from inside their medium, indeed where the medium they use shapes their very perceptions of the world. With film - the mechanical art - this means the artist standing inside the cinema machine, or having the cinema machine inside their head. In this film I was interested in making this metaphor explicit." -Richard Tuohy Richard Tuohy & Dianna Barrie PANCORAN 2017, 9 min, 16mm Jakarta traffic moves with the harmonious chaos of complex self-organizing entities everywhere. Through contact printer matteing techniques this mass transport becomes denser and denser until only the fluid futility of motion/motionlessness remains. Jakarta traffic stands as proof of the paradox of motion. Richard Tuohy CROSSING 2016, 11 min 16mm Across the sea. Across the street. Cross-processed and grain-enlarged images of fraught neighbors Korea and Japan in a pointillist sea of grain. Dianna Barrie & Richard Tuohy LAST TRAIN 2016, 12 min, 16mm Found in the (now possibly lost) film archive at Lab Laba Laba, footage from a trailer for the 1981 Indonesian propaganda film KERETA API TERAKHIR (THE LAST TRAIN) melts into a soup of chemigrammed perforations. A film about the silence that follows the unspeakable; about blurred visions, untold histories, and inaccessible archives. Richard Tuohy & Dianna Barrie CHINA NOT CHINA 2018, 14 min, 16mm Hong Kong marked 20 years since its hand over; halfway through the planned 40 year 'one country, two systems' transition. Taiwan, once imperial China, once Formosa, now ROC on the edge of the PRC. Multiple exposures of street scenes distort space and place creating a fluid sense of impermanence and transition, of two states somewhere between China and not China. Total running time: ca. 75 min.

SUNDAY, JULY 8, 2018

7/8
Los Angeles, California: Dirty Looks
http://dirtylooksla.org <https://hi-beam.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e4e99825c1d97f8de6eaffad3&id=492e8ac1cd&e=f36020cad0>
3PM, REDCAT, 631 W 2nd St
ZACKARY DRUCKER: HARD TO LOOK AT
The first-ever survey of favorite and rare short films spanning twelve years in the career of groundbreaking artist Zackary Drucker, including performance documentation. Post-screening conversation with Drucker and USC Professor in Art and Design and Vice Dean of Critical Studies, Amelia Jones, followed by a reception in the REDCAT Lounge. Zackary Drucker is a human being, photographer, filmmaker, performance artist, and producer of the award-winning television show, TRANSPARENT. REDCAT consistently presents the work of queer artists through programs including Outfest Platinum and their own New Original Works (NOW) Festival. Zackary Drucker, Queer Factor, digital video, 04:51, 2006 Zackary Drucker, FISH: A Matrilineage of Cunty White-Woman Realness, digital video, 01:58, 2008 Zackary Drucker with Van Barnes, Mariah Garnett, and A.L. Steiner, You Will Never Be a Woman. You Must Live the Rest of Your Days Entirely As a Man and You Will Only Grow More Masculine With Every Passing Year. There is No Way Out., digital video, 08:44, 2008 Zackary Drucker and Rhys Ernst, Two Trans in Bed, digital video, 02:57, 2008 Zackary Drucker and Rhys Ernst, Go Trans!, digital video, 02:14, 2009 Zackary Drucker, Wu Tsang, Mariana Marroquin, and Rhys Ernst, P.I.G., live performance, 05:32, 2009 Zackary Drucker, Performance Clown, digital video and live performance, 06:40, 2010 Zackary Drucker with Flawless Sabrina, At Least You Know You Exist, 16mm film transferred to digital video, 15:51, 2011 Zackary Drucker, Southern for Pussy, digital video, 04:39, 2015 Zackary Drucker, Unison, digital video, 07:42, 2017 Total Running Time: Approximately 65 minutes + post screening conversation Curated by Darin Klein $15

7/8
Oakland: Shapeshifters Cinema
http://shapeshifterscinema.com/ <https://hi-beam.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e4e99825c1d97f8de6eaffad3&id=a4d3f65f26&e=f36020cad0>
7:30-10PM, Temescal Art Center, 511 48th St. Oakland, CA
SHAPESHIFTERS CINEMA PRESENTS NATALIE TSUI
Natalie Tsui is a queer media artist and filmmaker living and working in Oakland, California. Her work explores the connection between visual culture, collective memory, and personal narrative. Tsui will be presenting a program of four new works that investigate and attempt to erode modes of cinematic perception and identification through the use of camera feedback loops, multiple projections, found footage collage, and live image manipulation. For this performance, Tsui will be accompanied by musician/composer Megan Low. The program will include excerpts from "ANTITEXT", a series in which 16mm captioned educational films are reconstituted as found poems; "images of rapture", a site specific multi-camera, multi-projector improvised feedback loop projection set revolving around the concept of work; and "casual encounter", a 16mm and digital projection piece exploring queer desire in Craigslist’s now defunct Casual Encounters (RIP). The evening will conclude with "entropy loop #2", the second iteration of a film destruction ritual as an invocation for collective release. (Note: "entropy loop #2" will involve the burning of film and may be unpleasant for those who are sensitive to scents and fumes. Limited masks will be available, bring your own mask.)

  _____

Let us know about your alternative film/video event!

Enter your event announcements by going to the Flicker Weekly Listing Form <https://hi-beam.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e4e99825c1d97f8de6eaffad3&id=4e5ca266dd&e=f36020cad0> .

 <https://hi-beam.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e4e99825c1d97f8de6eaffad3&id=b94c5de5cb&e=f36020cad0>

  <https://hi-beam.us9.list-manage.com/track/open.php?u=e4e99825c1d97f8de6eaffad3&id=87f44fabdf&e=f36020cad0>