[Frameworks] Long takes and still images/ photography in experimental films

jimmyschaus1 . jimmyschaus at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 23:52:55 UTC 2018

Singling out long takes in a forum dedicated to experimental film is
shooting fish in a barrel!  So I'll dive in with the more idiosyncratic
part of the inquiry, photography/still images.  Two wonderful things I've
seen recently entirely comprised of still photographic images "moving", and
directly engage a sense of bemusement in finding the line between stasis
and motion, are Abbas Kiarostami's *24 Frames *and Jon Jost's *Mountains as
Mountains*, which you can watch here <https://vimeo.com/210105853>.

shamelessly, my video Rocking Horses  <https://vimeo.com/187689950>
(password=rocking,
clever I know)

stasis classics: Chris Marker's *La Jetee *and Raul Ruiz's *Dogs Dialog*.

Apitchatpong Weerasathakul is a master of long takes, and in *Uncle
Boonme... *you get two-for-one, as, if I recall, there's a lovely sequence
of still photographs of Thai soldiers around the halfway mark.

Pedro Costa's films are filled with long takes, and the opening of *Horse
Money *is an incredible procession of Jacob Riis depression-era photos.

Tsai Ming-Liang, and if you're really looking for parts that emphasize
stillness and the weight of time, there's a 20 minute uninterrupted shot
towards the end of *Stray Dogs *that's really something else.

And yeah, James Benning, Sharon Lockhart, and some Ben Russell on the more
experimental/non-narrative side of things.