[Frameworks] Long takes and still images/ photography in experimental films

lady snowblood snowbloods.parasol at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 19:09:44 UTC 2018

I know it’s “television” but ... Twin Peaks : The Return is, in its entirety, astonishingly slow. Certain scenes are given the padding of ‘not turning away’ from really uncomfortable moments (especially couples fighting). One episode ends with a 3.5 minute shot of a bartender sweeping up peanut shells from the bar.

The whole series lasts 18 hours; Lynch exhausts the viewer’s expectation of ‘plot movement’ early on by shifting the pacing. Pacing and sound design really put this in an ‘experimental’ space.

I know it’s not film, and I know it’s pretty easy to tag the whole thing ‘Brechtian’ and move on, but it’s remarkable that this ended up on Showtime last year ... Every time an email comes through answering this question I think about the remarkable slowness and prevalence of single camera long shots; I need to say it :)

Jessica

* * * * *

Jessica Fenlon

artist : poet : experimental : http://sixth-station.com