[Frameworks] Films by Lynne Sachs and Mark Street Thursday May 17 Court Tree Collective, Brooklyn

Mark Street mstreet430 at gmail.com
Sun May 13 22:17:49 UTC 2018

Thursday, May 17 – Short Films by Mark Street and Lynne Sachs 7 - 9pm

Court Tree Collective 371 Court St, Brooklyn 11231

Since 1992, Lynne and Mark have been showing films together in an attempt
to uncover connections and dissonances, pitting the X against the Y, the
magenta against the green, the hard edged against the ephemeral. At Court
Tree Gallery, they will present 11 short films (including one they made
together) created over the last 25 years. Loose themes and affinities will
unspool, including chimerical traces of their children, women's voices
amplified on the screen, quotidian diary effusions, found footage movies
reimagined, weather as an apocalyptic (bell)weather and finally, the frame
as a shifting, malleable grid. Total running time: 69 min.
Films include:

“Sliding off the Edge of the World” by Mark Street, 7 min. 2000.
Time slows down and silence envelops a series of quotidian moments snatched
from transience. The frameline is always moving, and images are stacked
like nesting dolls.

“Same Stream Twice” by Lynne Sachs, 4 min. 2012.
Our first daughterʼs name is Maya. In 2001, I photographed her at six years
old. Eleven years later, I pulled out my camera once again to film her –
different but somehow the same.

“And Then We Marched” by Lynne Sachs, 3 min. 2017.
Sachs shoots film of the 2017 Women's March in Washington and intercuts
this footage with films of Suffragists and 1970s advocates for the Equal
Rights Amendment.

“Carolee, Barbara & Gunvor” by Lynne Sachs, 9 minutes 2018
>From 2015 to 2017, Lynne visited with Carolee Schneemann, Barbara Hammer
and Gunvor Nelson, three multi-faceted artists who have embraced the moving
image throughout their lives.

“Vera Drake, Drowning” by Mark Street, 4 min. 2012
A theatrical trailer buried in the garden for several years. The vagaries
of nature (snow, rain, ice, sun) yield a scrupulous document of the passing
of time.

“Zoom” by Mark Street, 6 min. 2018
Painting and bleaching a Dutch/French 35mm film to divulge haunted layers
of psychological complexity.

“After Synchromy” by Mark Street, 6 min. 2015
An homage and reimagining of Norman McLaren's 1971 film leavened by a
cascade of daily quotidian still photography.

“Winterwheat” by Mark Street, 7 min. 1989
>From an educational film about the farming cycle; a red sky vision emerges
from between the tractor blades.

“Drift and Bough” by Lynne Sachs, 7 min. 2014
Lynne spent a morning in Central Park shooting film in the snow. The stark
black lines of the trees against the whiteness created the sensation of a
painter’s chiaroscuro.

“Starfish Aorta Colossus” by Lynne Sachs, 5 min. 2015
Poetry watches film. Film reads poetry. Paolo Javier’s text is a catalyst
for Lynne to journey through twenty-five years of shooting film.

“The X Y Chromosome Project” by Lynne Sachs and Mark Street, 11 min. 2007
Lynne and Mark use a split screen to create a diptych that functions both
as a boxing match and a pas de deux.