[Frameworks] Films about darkness

Albert Alcoz albertalcoz at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 07:56:51 UTC 2018

Hello frameworkers,

We are doing a research on films and videos related to a general theme: "a
certain darkness".

We have done a list with completely dark films like the one created by
Maurice Lemaitre named *Song of Rio Jim* (1978) but we also want to add
some other films (documentary, fiction, etc) where the obscurity works as a
metaphor or as an autoreflexive analysis.

Here are two known examples by Chris Marker and Woody Allen:

Sans Soleil (1983) Chris Marker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGDu7YOlVuE

“The first image he told me about was of three children on a road in Iceland,
in 1965. He said that for him it was the image of happiness and also that
 he had tried several times to link it to other images, but it never worked.
He wrote me: one day I'll have to put it all alone at the beginning of a
film with a long piece of black leader; if they don't see happiness in the
picture, at least they'll see the black.”

 [image: image.png]

The Rose Purple of Cairo (1984) Woody Allen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75ovyrTzuYY

“Don’t turn the projector off. No, no. It’s getting black and we
disappear.You don’t understant what is to disappear, to be nothing to be
annihilated. Don’t turn the projector off.”

[image: image.png]
Do you have some ideas behind this issue?

Some other suggestions or examples will be appreciated.

Thank you very much,

Albert
--
http://visionaryfilm.net/ <http://www.visionaryfilm.net/>