[Frameworks] Enlightening Vision: Recent Films by Nathaniel Dorsky and Jerome Hiler, Nov 30 - Dec 2, in Los Angeles

Adam Hyman adam at lafilmforum.org
Mon Nov 26 06:41:18 UTC 2018

Sorry, we missed the Flicker deadline for these shows, starting on November
30.

UCLA Film & Television Archive, the the Hugh M. Hefner Classic American Film
Program, and Los Angeles Filmforum present
Enlightening Vision: Recent Films by Nathaniel Dorsky and Jerome Hiler
November 30 ­ Dec 2, 2018
At the UCLA Film & Television Archive, Billy Wilder Theater at the Hammer
Museum, 10899 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90024

In-person: filmmakers Nathaniel Dorsky and Jerome Hiler.
Los Angeles Filmforum members receive free admission at the box office!
https://www.cinema.ucla.edu/events/2018/enlightening-vision-nathaniel-dorsky
-jerome-hiler
In every generation there is a small number of artists whose clarity of
voice and individual vision inspires a renewed passion for their medium,
even as they deepen our appreciation for all art. Filmmakers Nathaniel
Dorsky and Jerome Hiler are two such artists. Internationally celebrated for
their bodies of work spanning over fifty years, Dorsky and Hiler will make
rare appearances with three programs of recent films. Working with hand-held
and hand-wound 16mm cameras, each creates a cinema of exquisite beauty that
unfolds in time and retains the mystery and ambiguities of life lived rather
than illustrated.
Dorsky and Hiler have been creative collaborators and partners since meeting
during the halcyon days of New York¹s 1960s underground film scene.  Dorsky,
a renowned cinematographer, editor and author, has produced nearly fifty
films since 1964. Each includes hundreds of images recorded in differing
locales that reveal astonishing interplays of texture, movement and space.
Hiler, whose practice includes painting and stained glass, creates images
unsurpassed in their delicacy and subtlety of expression. Often choosing
pastoral settings, his subjects emerge in inexplicable ways through multiple
layering, adding filters and hand manipulating the actual film material.
Hiler creates film spaces that are  ethereal and dark-hued plays with edges
of perception.
Theirs are films that invite us in but don¹t make it obvious how
to look and
respond: they are streams of interconnected records and
reflections of the
visual world, transforming recognizable objects and
places into realms of
seemingly infinite and unexpected discovery. We
are being returned, as
though it was being discovered for the first time, to the essential magic
of cinema. The Archive is honored to present this series with Nathaniel
Dorsky
 and Jerome Hiler in person.
Programs organized by Steve Anker and curated by the filmmakers.
³For Nathaniel Dorsky and Jerome Hiler, Film Is the Star²
By Manohla Dargis, The New York Times, Sept. 24, 2015
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/27/movies/for-nathaniel-dorsky-and-jerome-hi
ler-film-is-the-star.html

-----------------------
Friday, November 30, 2018, 7:30 pm:
THREE FILMS BY JEROME HILER
"My films bear a stronger relation to music than to the usual concept of a
motion picture. As in music, their story is an elusive thing that co-joins
with the intimate associations of the viewer.  They are silent which gives
the mind of the viewer the freedom to be aware of its own presence, as well.
My images simply unfold according to their needs.  As with so many
independent, hand-made films, these
works exist in some in-between space of the media universe". (J.H.)

WORDS OF MERCURY (2011, 25 min., 16mm, silent)

BAGATELLE II (2016, 16 min., 16mm, silent)

MARGINALIA (2016, 23 min., 16mm, silent)

Total running time: 64 minutes.

Tickets: Advance sale price: $10.00 at
http://emarket.cinema.ucla.edu/ShoppingCenter/Details.aspx?ref=1035
Tickets for Archive events may also be purchased at the box office:
General admission:  $9.00; Seniors:  $8.00; UCLA Alumni Association Members:
$8.00
Non-UCLA students:  $8.00; Filmforum members, UCLA students:  Free (see
policy <https://www.cinema.ucla.edu/programs/ticket-info> )

For more information:
https://www.cinema.ucla.edu/events/2018/11/30/three-films-jerome-hiler
<https://www.cinema.ucla.edu/events/2018/11/30/three-films-jerome-hiler>
www.lafilmforum.org <http://www.lafilmforum.org>  or 323-377-7238.
‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹
Saturday, December 1, 2018, 7:30 pm:
Four Films by Nathaniel Dorsky and Jerome Hiler

SATURDAY, DECEMBER 1, 7:30PM
FOUR FILMS BY NATHANIEL DORSKY & JEROME HILER
Although Nathaniel Dorsky and Jerome Hiler have shared the same world and
have many of the same interests and occupations, their films express the
inner spirit of two distinct individuals. There are similarities, but these
recede in significance as one experiences the unique mind of either
filmmaker.

FILMS BY JEROME HILER
³Given all the layers involved, there are some rules to follow that must
govern all the material. One has to regard black or darkness as if it were
gold itself. The dark characteristics are what enable the layers to come
through and blend with one another.² (J.H.)

NEW WORK-IN-PROGRESS (2017-18, ca. 17 min., 16mm, silent)
³My new, as yet unnamed work, is generated from the California landscape -
seemingly congenial yet ever elusive and remote.² (J.H.)

BAGATELLE I (2016-18, ca. 16 min., 16mm, silent)
³Bagatelle I swims in a fast current below and above glimpses of
experience that shift from the familiar to the unknown.² (J.H.)

FILMS BY NATHANIEL DORSKY
³I put shots together to create a revelation of wisdom through delicate
surprise. The montage does not lead to verbal understanding, but is actual
and present.² (N.D.)

AUTUMN (2016, 26 min., 16mm, silent)
Autumn, photographed during the last months of the drought year, 2015, is a
stately, but intimate, seasonal tome, a celebration of the poignancy and
mystery of our later years.  ND

COLOPHON (for the Arboretum Cycle) (2018, 13.5 min., 16mm, silent)
Colophon (for the Arboretum Cycle) has three sections. It is in the spirit
of the early Chinese landscape colophons, a text added to the horizontal
scroll at a later date from when the landscape itself was enacted. Colophon
was not made to be shown along with the Arboretum Cycle, but a new thing, a
spring later, a different maker, so to speak.   N.D.

Total running time: 72.5 minutes.

Tickets: Advance sale price: $10.00 at
http://emarket.cinema.ucla.edu/ShoppingCenter/Details.aspx?ref=1034
Tickets for Archive events may also be purchased at the box office:
General admission:  $9.00; Seniors:  $8.00; UCLA Alumni Association Members:
$8.00
Non-UCLA students:  $8.00; Filmforum members, UCLA students:  Free (see
policy <https://www.cinema.ucla.edu/programs/ticket-info> )

For more information:
https://www.cinema.ucla.edu/events/2018/12/01/four-films-nathaniel-dorsky-je
rome-hiler
<https://www.cinema.ucla.edu/events/2018/12/01/four-films-nathaniel-dorsky-j
erome-hiler>  , www.lafilmforum.org <http://www.lafilmforum.org>  or
323-377-7238.
‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹
SUNDAY, DECEMBER 2, 7:00PM
NATHANIEL DORSKY: ARBORETUM CYCLE
³The Arboretum Cycle was shot over a twelve month period beginning in the
early spring of February and ending in the month of December. It was
entirely photographed in the Strybing Arboretum in Golden Gate Park.² (N.D.)

ELOHIM (2017, 31 min, 16mm, silent)
Elohim, or divine beings, the energy of light as creation.   N.D.

ABATON (2017, 19 min, 16mm, silent)
Abaton, a sacred place, a sanctuary for dreaming and healing.   N.D.

CODA (2017, 16 min, 16mm, silent)
Coda is an afterword to Elohim and Abaton, the first shades of death and
knowing.   N.D.

ODE (2017, 20 min, 16mm, silent)
Ode is the fourth section of the cycle. There is now the presence of death
and dying as the dry summer begins.   N.D.

SEPTEMBER (2017, 20 min, 16mm, silent)
September¹s ripeness, a blessing on earth, our Indian summerŠ   N.D.

MONODY (2017, 16 min, 16mm, silent)
A monody is an ode sung by a single actor in a Greek tragedy, a poem
lamenting a person¹s death. In this case, the sixth section of this
Arboretum Cycle, the death of the garden itself.  N.D.

EPILOGUE (2017, 15 min, 16mm, silent)
Epilogue is the seventh film in the Arboretum Cycle, a descent into the dark
damp earth, a period of dying.   N.D.

Total running time: 137 min.

Tickets: Advance sale price: $10.00 at
http://emarket.cinema.ucla.edu/ShoppingCenter/Details.aspx?ref=1033
Tickets for Archive events may also be purchased at the box office:
General admission:  $9.00; Seniors:  $8.00; UCLA Alumni Association Members:
$8.00
Non-UCLA students:  $8.00; Filmforum members, UCLA students:  Free (see
policy <https://www.cinema.ucla.edu/programs/ticket-info> )

For more information:
https://www.cinema.ucla.edu/events/2018/12/02/nathaniel-dorsky-arboretum-cyc
le , www.lafilmforum.org <http://www.lafilmforum.org> or 323-377-7238.
----------------
This program is supported by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and
Sciences, the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors through the Los
Angeles County Arts Commission and the Department of Cultural Affairs, City
of Los Angeles. We also depend on our members, ticket buyers, and individual
donors.

Los Angeles Filmforum is the city¹s longest-running organization dedicated
to weekly screenings of experimental film, documentaries, video art, and
experimental animation. 2018 is our 43rd year.

Memberships available, $70 single, $115 dual, or $50 single student
Contact us at lafilmforum at yahoo.com.
Find us online at http://lafilmforum.org. <http://lafilmforum.org./>
Become a fan on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @LosAngFilmforum!