[Frameworks] Anthony McCall's films

Eric Theise erictheise at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 06:32:06 UTC 2018

Continuing along Jonathan's line of inquiry, courtesy BAMPFA's Film Library
and Study Center. I know McCall's Line Describing a Cone is from 1973 but
I'm not familiar with the dates in the rest of his filmography so here's
the full dump.

Canyon Cinema Cooperative Catalogue Number One (1966): no McCall.
Canyon Cinema Cooperative Catalogue Number Two (1969): no McCall.
Canyon Cinema Cooperative Catalogue Number Two Supplement Number One
(1969): no McCall.
Canyon Cinema Cooperative Catalogue Number Two Supplement Number Two
(1970): no McCall.
Canyon Cinema Cooperative Catalogue Number Two Supplement Number Three
(1970): no McCall. Curt McDowell makes a first appearance with A Visit to
Indiana (1970).
Canyon Cinema Cooperative Catalogue Number Three (1972): no McCall.
Canyon Cinema Cooperative Catalogue Number Three Supplement (1973): no
McCall.
Canyon Cinema Cooperative Catalogue Number Three Supplement Number Two
(1974): no McCall.
Combined with my previous email, the only McCall work available in Canyon
catalogs #4-#8 was Light Describing a Cone.

Film-Makers' Cooperative Catalogue #4 (1967): no McCall. Lots of
Markopoulos though!
Film-Makers' Cooperative Catalogue #5 (1971): no McCall.
Film-Makers' Cooperative Catalogue #6 (1975): no McCall.

Light Cone Additif Avril 1991: no McCall.
Light Cone Catalogue (Mars 1994): no McCall.
Light Cone Catalogue 1997: Line Describing a Cone only. 250F.
Light Cone Catalogue 2001: Line Describing a Cone only. 55 €.

LUX catalogs were not available on my visit today.

A few bonus publications:
Filmmakers Co-Operatives Catalogue of Independent Film (1975/76) &
Supplement (January 1977). These are Australian publications representing
co-ops in Brisbane, Perth, Hobart, Sydney, Melbourne, plus the South
Australia Media Resources Centre (Adelaide). But no McCall.

Film Programmer's Guide to 16mm Rentals, Third Edition (1980). Edited by
Kathleen Weaver, Associate Editor Richard Prelinger, Consulting Editor
Linda J. Artel. Lists Line Describing a Cone as available from CAN (Canyon)
for $40. I'm realizing now that I didn't check the other titles in that
book. Will circle back and check, sorry.

As an aside, I completely forgot about that book. Seeing the cover (below)
transported me back to John Schofill's kitchen table in Chicago, mid-80s,
making lists of films to show at Randolph St Gallery. Also forgot to
mention it to Rick Prelinger who chatted with Kelly Sears about her work
after tonight's screening at BAMPFA.

Also below:  I don't recall seeing those Lenny Lipton designs before.

Eric