[Frameworks] Tonight encore performance Bradley Eros 'MovieHeadBox", Microscope Gallery, Brooklyn, NY

LBurchill elle.burchill at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 19:32:05 UTC 2019

Failed to post this event in the listings.

As part of our current exhibition "Scrapbook (or, Why Can't We Live
Together") Bradley Eros performs his individual expanded cinema performance
MovieHeadBox (1983) .

In this individual and personalized cinematic experience the viewer is
seated in a chair wearing a cardboard box with stretched screen material on
its front panel. The artist then projects a Super 8mm film onto the box’s
screen by holding a small projector from a distance. Sound is provided via
headphones connected to a Walkman cassette player.

The viewer will be able to choose from a selection of 10 film reels with
rare original footage shot by Eros, each approximately 3 minutes in length.
Among the options are: “Coney Island, costumes & ocean” (1982); “Canary
Islands, ritual w/ Aline” (1986); “New Mexico: Canyon De Chelly” (1983);
“Key West: flamingos / Madison: Halloween party @ Cardinal Bar” (1978);
“New York: Popo (@8BC), Kembra, Jack & Peter” (1985).

Additionally, the viewer will select a soundtrack from 10 cassette tapes
containing original sound mixes by the artist, with themes including “World
Music Mix”, “Spooky Films”, “Electronic Landscapes”, “Women’s Voices”,
Witchcraft Music”, and others.

*MovieHeadBox* is a quasi-readymade, DIY, democratized version of a VR
headset for the personal, immersive and concentrated experience of cinema.

RSVP is required for this event (to rsvp at microscopegallery.com)
Please indicate if you would like participate as a viewer and we will
confirm your time slot in advance. *General admission $10, **Students &
Members $8*

More info about the event or exhibition: www.microscopegallery.com

Microscope Gallery, 1329 Willoughby Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11237