[Frameworks] Camera-less film and close-up

Caryn Cline carynycline at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 15:13:25 UTC 2019

Hello Kim,

This isn't a direct connection, but I have often used a quote from Richard
Lanham to talk about the impact of my handmade botanicollage films.  Here
it is contextualized in one of my handouts.

Shifting the expectations about scale in a work is an important artistic
strategy, and central to most if not all handmade films.   As cultural
critic Richard Lanham observes in *The Electronic Word: Democracy,
Technology and the Arts*,

To change scale is, as with repetition, to transform reality utterly,
without changing it at all. To make art of scaling changes means making us
self-conscious about perceptual distance and the conventions, neural and
social, that cluster around it. That distance itself can so change an
object—give it, to use Duchamp’s phrase, a “new look”—locks us into a
conception of art as essentially interactive (42).

Through my films, I hope to “transform reality utterly” by placing plants
in an unfamiliar context and by doing so to remind viewers (in an
“essentially interactive” way) that what we do with plants, how we see
them, how we treat them, matters.

Best wishes,

CC

Caryn Cline
Experimental Filmmaker & Teacher
"a proud member of the reality-based community"
www.vimeo.com/carynyc

film still from "butterfly disaster" 2019