[Frameworks] Original soundtrack recordings of Avant-Garde films

Christian Gosvig Olesen christian.gosvig at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 21:44:36 UTC 2019

Hello,

Many (of the amazing) soundtracks to Derek Jarman's films have been
released on various formats:

Throbbing Gristle "In the Shadow of the Sun":
https://www.discogs.com/Throbbing-Gristle-In-The-Shadow-Of-The-Sun/master/10294

Coil "The Angelic Conversation":
https://www.discogs.com/Coil-The-Angelic-Conversation/master/21410

Simon Fisher Turner/Derek Jarman "Blue":
https://www.discogs.com/Derek-Jarman-Blue/master/21552

Simon Fisher Turner "Caravaggio":
https://www.discogs.com/Simon-Fisher-Turner-Caravaggio-1610-Sound-Sketches-For-Michele-Of-The-Shadows/master/246163
(and several other Jarman/Turner soundtracks are released as well)

Sub Rosa released a boxset of Luc Ferrari's soundtrack works not so long
ago (among others for Piotr Kamler's "Chronopolis"):
https://www.subrosa.net/en/catalogue/early-electronic-music/luc-ferrari-complete-music-for-films-1960-1984.html

Peter Tscherkassky's "Outer Space" is featured on a Finnish compilation:
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Avantometric-Attachments-2002/release/75764

Angus MacLise's soundtrack to "The Invasion of Thunderbolt Pagoda":
https://www.discogs.com/Angus-MacLise-The-Invasion-Of-Thunderbolt-Pagoda/release/440194

And there is an Angus MacLise compilation featuring music from "Chumlum"
among others: https://www.discogs.com/Angus-MacLise-Untitled/release/311090

There was also a funny, unofficial archival release series of "Musique
Concrète Soundtracks to Experimental Short Films" some years back:

https://www.discogs.com/label/13172-New-England-Electric-Music-Company

Best,

Christian