[Frameworks] Expanded cinema and experimental music

Esperanza Collado esperanzacollado1 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 10:45:34 UTC 2019

Hi there and thank you for your recommendations. I hope more people come
out with ideas!

Tetsuya: Érik is a terrific lecturer as well as a great writer-researcher
and artist whose work I totally admire, but I'm afraid experimental music
is not his subject. In fact, Érik is helping us find people too :-)

Cindy: cheers, I attended the congress at the Tate and, as far as I know,
Steven Ball was the only one to approach the topic we're looking for
directly. If I'm forgetting any other relevant intervention, please let me
know! I have the book too, and I checked that closely in search for other
experts... Yes, of course, expanded cinema is a term coined in the US
(Vanderbeek, right?). You may like to know the French Lettrists already
used similar terms in the late forties and early fifties, as well as the
great Spanish "cinemist" José Val del Omar.

Steve: sure, Sally is actually one of the first artists/curators I
suggested and even though Godart -who is also a friend of Sally- was
looking for academics and scholars, I insisted. Sally edited a book
recently on digital art and I think her work is shifting slightly towards
digital media. She is taking some holidays at the moment but I think she
has been contacted for this already. Thanks, I didn't know the Perpetual
Motion fanzine was still available for free download!

Best,

El vie., 22 feb. 2019 a las 8:13, Steve Polta (<steve.polta at gmail.com>)
escribió:

> Dear Esperanza.
>
> I'm sure you know about her work as an artist and likely you also know
> that Sally Golding (Australia/UK) is an authority on this genre and knows
> the historical and contemporary work inside and out. Your friend can
> obviously contact her through her website—https://sallygolding.com/. San
> Francisco Cinematheque also published an essay by her which you (or your
> friend or anyone with internet access) can download for free here
> <http://www.sfcinematheque.org/product/publications2/perpetual-motion-zine/>.
> Best regards,
>
> Steve Polta
>

> On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 2:18 AM Esperanza Collado <
> esperanzacollado1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> A colleague is considering organising a seminar on the subject of
>> expanded cinema and experimental music. He is trying to find academics,
>> scholars, writers and experts in the critical/historical field rather than
>> artists to deliver lectures or talks as part of this seminar. Could you
>> please recommend relevant names expert in this field *who are not
>> American* (or are not based in America) please?
>>
>> I'm thinking of Steven Ball and (even though it may not be exactly their
>> field of research) François Bovier/Adeena Mey, but who else is there beyond
>> these? And if any of you think could fit here please let me know.
>>

>> Thank you.
>>
>> --
>> Esperanza Collado
>> www.esperanzacollado.net