[Frameworks] Looking for 16mm projectors

Scott Dorsey kludge at panix.com
Tue Jan 15 22:47:29 UTC 2019

You don't say what you're looking for.  Classroom projectors?
Theatre projectors?  I assume you need 16 and 24 fps both for typical
showings.  I assume also you need something very light on film.

I am a fan of the very old 300-series B&H projectors which are not very
efficient or bright but run forveer if you keep them lubed and are very
gentle on film and good about damaged films.

The Eastman 25 is expensive and sought after but also very good about
dealing with films in poor condition.

If SIU is anywhere near Chicago, talk to Urbanski Films and see if they can
recommend something locally.  They usually have some refurbished classroom
projectors in stock.

Full Aperture Systems, which will sell you a very expensive but very worth it
Eastman 25, is also in chicago.

Make sure that whatever you buy has a common lens mount because you will
likely want a couple different lenses.  Avoid autoshred and slotloaders
like the plague, but be aware 500-series B&H autoshredders and some Bauer
autoshredders can be modified to make them manual load.
--scott