[Frameworks] Indigenous and Black Women Experimental Filmmakers

Kornelia Boczkowska kornelia.boczkowska at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 21:42:22 UTC 2019

Hi Sebastian,

I once did some preliminary research on African-American experimental
film. I suppose you may consult the following sources for info on Black
and Afro-American women makers, including those you mentioned:

Imperfect Independence: Black Women Experimental Filmmakers by Nzingha
Santiago Kendall (Indiana University, 2018)

Introduction to Experimental Cinema: The Film Reader, edited by Dixon,
W. W. and Gwendolyn A. Foster (Routledge, 2002) - a section titled
“Alternative Cinemas”

Black Women Film and Video Artists by Jacqueline Bobo (Routledge, 2013)

Film Feminisms: A Global Introduction by Kristin Lené Hole, Dijana
Jelača (Routledge, 2018) - e.g. Chapter 6

Contemporary Black American Cinema: Race, Gender and Sexuality at the
Movies, edited by Mia Mask (Routledge, 2012) - e.g. p. 140

Nairobi‐based Female Filmmakers by R. Steedman in A Companion to African
Cinema, edited by Kenneth W. Harrow, Carmela Garritano (John Wiley &
Sons, 2018)

African Women and the Documentary: Storytelling, Visualizing History,
from the Personal to the Political by Beti Ellerson, Black Camera, Vol.
8, No. 1, 2016

Remediations of Nonfiction: Animation, Interactivity, and Documentary
 From Africa by Paula Callus, Critical Interventions, Journal of African
Art History and Visual Culture, Volume 11, Issue 3, 2017

Commentary: Haunting in Akosua Adoma Owusu's Short Experimental Films by
Nzingha Kendall, Black Camera, Vol. 5, No. 1, 2013

You could have already come across some of them, but I thought I’d share
them with you anyway. Hope this helps.

Best,

Kornelia

W dniu 24.07.2019 o 18:39, Sebastian Wiedemann pisze:
> Hi,
> Im looking for bibliography on Indigenous and Black Women Experimental
> Filmmakers. For example about the work of Akosua Adoma Owusu or
> Ng'endo Mukii. Until now the only source I found was an essay about
> the Maori experimental filmmaker, Nova Paul.
> Thanks a lot for any help you can give me,
> Best,
> Sebastian
>
> --
> Sebastian Wiedemann