[Frameworks] The Sublimity of Document

Scott MacDonald smacdona at hamilton.edu
Tue Jul 30 22:54:49 UTC 2019

*FRAMEWORKERS:*

*I want to let you know about a new book of mine, called The Sublimity of
Document: Cinema As Diorama--it's a follow-up to Avant-Doc (2015).*

*The Sublimity of Document is a collection of in-depth interviews with
moving-image artists making films that explore the territory between
documentary and experimental cinema. The book brings together interviews
with Ron Fricke, Gustav Deutsch, Laura Poitras, Fred Wiseman (on Hospital),
Nikolaus Geyrhalter, Bill Morrison, Brett Story, Abbas Kiarostami (on
Five), Lois Patiño, Dominic Gagnon, Erin Espelie, Yance Ford (on Strong
Island), Janet Biggs, Carlos Adriano, Craig Johnson, Ben Russell (on Good
Luck), Betzy Bromberg, James Benning (Goes Digital); three Executive
Directors of DER (the distributor Documentary Educational Resources): Su
Cabezas, Cynthia Close, and Alice Apley); Maxim Pozdorovkin (on Our New
President); along with several veterans of Harvard's Sensory Ethnography
Lab and their collaborators: J.P. Sniadecki, Stephanie Spray, Véréna
Paravel, Libbie Dina Cohen, and Joshua Bonnetta. Color and b&w images; 550
pages.*

*If you order the order the book online at global.oup.com/academic
<http://global.oup.com/academic> with the promotion code AAFLYG6, you can
save 30% (the book is then $27.97).*

*“MacDonald focuses...on work that stares more than stipulates. Sublime
documents, those films that make us gasp at the wonder of the world more
than the genius of the artist, are a forgotten treasure, until now. Reading
this book can only enlarge our love for what the camera sees when it looks
afresh at the world we think we already know.”—Bill Nichols, author of
Introduction to Documentary 3rd edition.*

*Best,*
*Scott*