[Frameworks] shooting a projection with 16mm film

Christopher Ball cbifilms at gmail.com
Sat Jun 29 05:25:24 UTC 2019

I would shoot a test at 24fps, 16fps and maybe some longer exposures if you
have the options on your camera, and the longest shutter speed available.
You only need to shoot a few seconds of each option.  You could also shoot
a few feet, then break off the film and shoot a few feet again and push
process the 2nd section.  I wouldn't push more than 1 stop.

One very quick way to estimate if you have anywhere close to enough light
is to shoot some stills, even on a digital camera, using 1/48th of a second
exposure time and 500 ASA setting.  That will give you an approximation of
shooting at a 180 degree shutter at 24fps.  If there is a good exposure on
the digital still, then likely you will be fine for film.  If the digital
still is quite dark (or non readable) that will tell you that you probably
dont have enough light.  You could even estimate a 1 stop push by shooting
a second still at 1000 ASA.

Christopher