[Frameworks] Maurice Amar? and Hanna Roman?

JB Mabe jb.mabe at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 21:41:51 UTC 2019

Hi All,

I'm looking for two filmmakers... one of whom might be pretty hard to
find and one who I hope is a little easier.

Maurice Amar made a lot of films in the late 60s and throughout the
70s. He was in the New York underground film-making scene and is part
of a film called "Underground New York," which also features the Mekas
and Kuchar bros. and I think was involved in "For Life, Against War."
He was Egyptian-born and NYC-based. He self-distributed as Films Amar
at 106 East 7th, and then later as Maurice Amar Films at 61 East 11th.
He is briefly mentioned in Robert Haller's book on Amy Greenfield, as
she performed in one of his films. He may have also worked in Wilton,
CT.

The other filmmaker might be a little harder to find. Hanna Roman was
a Polish born and educated filmmaker who partnered with her husband
Joseph Roman, and toured with their films as HJ Roman mostly in the
60s. As far as I can tell from clippings, she was the filmmaker and
projectionist and he handled the bookings. They made some films with
youth in Cape Cod. The only other info I have is they were once had a
studio in Southbridge MA, and were later handled by Douglass
Entertainment in Hartford CT.

Any clues you might have would be greatly appreciated!

Best,
Josh