[Frameworks] Gerald O'Grady

Ekrem Serdar ekrem at squeaky.org
Thu Mar 28 16:03:02 UTC 2019

Thank you Ron for this lovely letter. I was always very curious about his
activities in Houston, but hadn't made time to look into it anymore than a
cursory glance, so I appreciate both your words and the references.

As you say, it's hard to know where to stop, but one additional point on
his resume, as Bob Harris pointed out to me some years ago: O'Grady was
also the first artistic director of the New York Summer School of the Arts
founded by Bob Reals (which continues to this day under the guidance of
Ghen Dennis) basically, a media arts residency for youth.

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 11:20 AM Green, Ron Green <green.31 at osu.edu> wrote:

> Dear Frameworkers,
>
> In haste, I'm going to paste below a slight edit of a long email I sent
> yesterday to a group of friends from Rice University informing them of the
> death two days ago of our respected colleague, Gerry O'Grady.  Ron and
> Louisa Green
>
> Dear Baker/Rice Group,
>
> We're sorry to report to this group the sad news that Gerry O'Grady died
> yesterday morning about 11am in Boston. He has been living in Boston, where
> he had grown up, since his retirement from SUNY/Buffalo in the 1980s, and
> he was associated during much of that time with the media arts programs at
> Harvard and MIT.
>
> As some of you know, Louisa and I knew Gerry very well. During college and
> the early to middle part of our careers, he was our mentor at Rice and
> beyond, and the director of our advanced degrees at SUNY/Buffalo; he was
> our boss several times at various media arts institutions in Buffalo, and
> he was one of our closest friends. As Louisa said this morning, his
> presence for us is profound and permanent.
>
> For those of you who have asked from time to time what Gerry is up to, we
> can report that his presence in the field of media arts is equally profound
> and permanent. He is among a handful of people who invented and developed
> the academic and arts fields of film studies and media studies in the 1960s
> and '70s, and his conception of it was intellectually rich in a way that
> Louisa and I experienced in close proximity over several decades of its
> development, and which many of you from Rice can imagine if you ever had a
> class from him on any topic. A small, but seminal, portion of his
> accomplishment in the Buffalo period of his work is suggested in *Buffalo
> Heads: Media Study, Media Practice, Media Pioneers, 1973-1990*, published
> by MIT Press in 2007--this 840-page anthology is devoted to Gerry and the
> program he built, and includes generous sections of the writings of the
> incredible group of artists he hired , including Hollis Frampton, Paul
> Sharits, Woody Vasulka, Steina, Tony Conrad, James Blue, and Peter Weibel..
>
> Gerry received a lifetime achievement award from Anthology Film Archives
> in NYC some years ago; he was also a member of a small group of advisors
> that launched the Media Arts Program in DC, one of the disciplinary arms of
> the National Endowment for the Arts, a non-academic, arts-oriented agency
> that I worked for as Asst. Dir. during one of my early stints away from
> Gerry's own institutions. Gerry was also instrumental in organizing the
> centralized media interests of the SUNY system via a report that Louisa
> wrote after visiting SUNY's numerous campuses.
>
> It is hard to know where to stop; Louisa just reminded me of the whole
> period in Houston, after Gerry left Rice but before he was underway at
> Buffalo, when Gerry was retained by John and Dominique de Menil to
> [...]

*Ekrem Serdar*
*Curator*
*Squeaky Wheel Film & Media Art Center*
617 Main Street, Buffalo, NY 14203
PUBLIC HOURS: Tuesday-Saturday, 12–5pm
716-884-7172  |  squeaky.org <http://www.squeaky.org/>   |  @squeakybuffalo
Black Quantum Futurism | ON THE EDGE OF THE BUSH / A LONG WALK INTO THE
UNKNOWN <http://squeaky.org/event/blackquantumfuturism/>
On view January 25–April 20, 2019.
See our Spring 2019 calendar here <http://squeaky.org/exhibitions-events/>.