[Frameworks] Film Festivals

Dominic Angerame dominic.angerame at gmail.com
Sat May 18 14:22:18 UTC 2019

I am beginning to believe that Film Festivals are no longer viable in this day and age. They all have become pyramid schemes with very little rewards to us filmmakers. So few cash prizes, far too many entries. Everyone is now a filmmaker if you own a cell phone. Every town in the US now has a film festival.

It is not much fun to have a film shown at a festival where the artist cannot attend. From the festivalsI I receive a schedule of the films shown and that is all. Paying approx $50 (the average price of entry) to see my name on a list is not very rewarding I must say. With so many ways of having my work shown online and getting direct feedback is much more rewarding and cost effective and rewarding.

Festivals seldom provide any jury/judge/audience feedback. I receive a thank you notice from the Festival and more often or not a letter that says.   “We had an enormous amount of entries…..blah blah blah but no thanks no room at the inn. I have entered at least ten festivals this year with my film being shown at one, in Albuquerque with Brian Konefsky’s festival. This festival is an exception to the rule. This festival offers numerous screenings over many days, not just a weekend.

Some festivals I have entered send no correspondences so I barely know if the event even occurred.

So after decades of sending my work to festivals, I no longer will participate and encourage younger filmmakers to create a more viable method of having their work screened.

Thanks

Dominic