[Frameworks] essay film

Morgan Hoyle-Combs mhoylecombs at yahoo.com
Thu May 23 15:17:42 UTC 2019

Here are my thoughts, if I'm reading this correctly, is that the term "essay" is a loose excuse for someone cobbling together a bunch of moving images which might be a free flowing stream of consciousness that they are not quite aware of. I say this because I feel like I'm falling into this category. For the past few years I've been doing my own "documentary" or "essay" on a particular group of people and I feel like it's the only vague description I can feed anyone should they question my motives for filming. My intent is much more deeper and personal, but I'd rather reveal it when I feel the product is finished.

But in terms of trying to make a "documentary" to cover a particular subjects with a specific rhetoric, setting itself out to covering something as 'real', 'truthful', 'problematic' and 'fixable' is indeed a theme that has been done plenty of times. Because of this, I think a lot of people in my age range in particular will fall back on the theme of "essay" or "diary-film" in hopes to avoid scoffs, eye rolls and ridicule. The group that I'm focusing on in particular has pushed out Documentary after Documentary after Documentary after Documentary. Honestly, there's that many. And everyone of them contain the same 101, introductary message "we're good people, please don't say mean things about us".

Perhaps this is something I should keep in mind for myself. Although I am keeping a journal of my personal accounts with this group, good times, bad times, shits and giggles alike, I do feel like I've been shooting with a stream of consciousness. Everything is a bunch of scrabbled eggs.

As a lost, semi-frustrated, caffeinated 31 year old, I ask photographers, journalists, and poets alike. What would you have me do?