[Frameworks] Processing KODAK Tri-X Reversal Film 7266

Jason Halprin jihalprin at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 16:28:24 UTC 2019

Jimmy,

There are way too many variables (agitation method, oxygen exposure,
storage temperature, etc, all multiplied by time) to give an exact answer,
but if you're mixing and using the chemistry in a short amount of time
(like under a week), and you're returning it to a properly sized (in this
case 1L) container in between use, I would guess you could process in the
range of 300'-400' successfully, but with a gradual increase in
development times after 150'-200'. This would hold true for many
developers, not all.

That being said, I have continued to use developers well past their
intended potency before, with results that aesthetically worked for me -
but not what I would try on just any project. Eventually you end up with
blacks that never reach full density, muddy washed shadows, and
underdevelopment. So, you may find that you can still produce images with
acceptable contrast, shadows, and highlights up to a certain point
(probably 300'-400'), but continue to use the developer after that if you
want a lower contrast print for rephotography/printing or scanning purposes.

My major advice is to keep a notebook of your chemical use and processing
times, and the image results from each roll. If you can track how many feet
(and batches) have been processed with each batch of chemicals, you'll be
able to settle on a chemical replacement routine that is predictable and
maximizes economy.

Happy processing!

Jason Halprin
jihalprin at gmail.com