[Frameworks] The Participatory Camera

John Powers jpowers95 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 31 17:28:23 UTC 2019

Dear Frameworks,

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions for this admittedly vague request. Alan, I assume that you’re referring to BLUE TAPE, which I haven’t been able to see, but will jump at the chance next time it presents itself. Carl, I also thought of A&B IN ONTARIO, but had forgotten about SWAMP – thanks for reminding me. Marilyn, I must confess that BLUE MOSES never crossed my mind, but I’ll look at it again; MADE MANIFEST is one of the few Brakhage films I haven’t seen, so I’ll have to prioritize it the next time I’m renting some prints. Scott, can’t wait to see your film, and thanks to Albert for the Dan Graham suggestions, which certainly fit.

Dave, yes, I think the term “participatory” is the weakness here, which is too general and potentially all-encompassing to have much explanatory force. Of course, we can all think of hundreds of films in which the handheld camera provides evidence of the filmmaker’s subjectivity and seems to represent a first-person physical response to the events depicted – not representing a state but enacting it, on some level. I suppose that in my inquiry, I was thinking of two slightly different things. One might be called a “shared camera” or “dialogic camera” (although I’m not sure I like the literary connotations of the latter term) (the Brakhage, Schneemann examples), where the handheld camera is traded between partners. Another might be a kind of “public camera” or “social camera” or something like that (Scott’s film, maybe the Joe Gibbons films where he shoplifts books), where a social performance or interaction is orchestrated such that the camera’s involvement becomes integral to or even a prerequisite for its realization. What was I thinking with CHRISTMAS ON EARTH? Maybe a “mimetic camera” (I think Ara Osterweil writes about this in Flesh Cinema) where the camera’s movements imitate the onscreen actions or movements of its participants.

All very fuzzy, of course, and not totally developed, but I suppose that my request for examples was in part about trying to iron out or understand some of these differences, so thanks to everyone for giving me things to consider!

Best,
John