[Frameworks] spools, reels and rolls

Dave Tetzlaff djtet53 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 20:08:34 UTC 2020

I would say that “roll” refers to the film itself, “spool” and “reel” refer to objects the film is wound onto, each of which have sides — as opposed to “cores” which do not — and are sized by their capacity, rather than diameter as is the case with audiotape reels. E.g. a standard small audio reel is 5”, and standard small film reel 400’. While “spool" and “reel” are sometimes used interchangeably, I would say a spool generally denotes both a smaller object, and one on which camera original is wound, while a reel contains a finished copy for projection. Film reel generally have open sides while spools have solid sides.

Examples:
16mm

A 100’ load for a Bolex 16mm comes on a solid metal daylight spool, and is wound onto another 100’ daylight spool form take-up.

The lab might send the footage back on a 100’ plastic spool that’s no good for in-camera use because it’s translucent.

When you edit your workprint, the film is wound between cores, either on a flatbed, or, if you’re on an upright bench with a syncronizer, the cores are mounted into split-reels. (I’ve never heard them called split-spools, but YMMV)

After you send the materials for your edited short film off to the lab, the answer print comes back on a 400’ (e.g.) projection reel.

Super 8

A 50’ load comes in a cartridge. After you exposeit, you send it to the lab and they send the film back on a white plastic 50’ spool. You thread that through your projector onto a 200’ take-up reel.

IDK about 35mm