[Frameworks] spools, reels and rolls

Christopher Ball cbifilms at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 16:10:17 UTC 2020

I have always referred to rolls as the camera original, 1000' rolls go into
the camera.  Reels are the film for projection, so a feature is 5 x 2000'
reels.  It probably is that way because the physical device you put the
film for projection on is a reel, and you never load the film into a camera
on a "reel", it is either on a daylight spool, or just a wound up roll on a
core.

It doesn't have to do with measurement or length.

Spools are specific devices for loading film into smaller cameras (usually
daylight loading spools when you can't load in a darkroom).  If the film
does not come on a spool it is a roll.

There are no spools in projection, it is all on reels, though sometimes
people do say "unspooling the film" when it is being projected...there's
some confusion.

Christopher