[Frameworks] "phi phenomenon"

Bernard Roddy roddybp0 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 18:05:08 UTC 2020

Yes, a fair question. I will be repeating myself, but that's ok.

I disagree with Pip when he suggests that Deleuze is describing shots in
classic cinema, I think he sees himself as doing philosophy. And often it
is whole films that serve his purpose.

Now, all I had in mind, Michael, when I posted under the label "animation,"
was what I understand of early points made in Cinema !. And we can put it
like this:

For Deleuze, there is a context. It consists in a history of philosophy
that has conceived of movement in a certain way. And if I understand it,
the conception of movement belongs to a conception of time, namely that
time consists in a series. Bergson also discusses perception, which would
be central to any full account of what matters here.

But a phenomenologist rejects the idea that time is to be understood as
"clock time." That is the idea that there are these points in the past and
in the future, and we are to distinguish between the experience of time,
one one hand, and the correct time, on the other. That distinction has to
go.

So movement isn't this series of points or frames. The question has
concerned a relationship between what you collect in empirical study
(measured in minutes, say) and movement of different kinds. Now, the lab
tests demonstrate that movement isn't the various frames. They can lie
there without producing movement. You can see each one without seeing
movement (if, say, each is held for too long).

Deleuze seems to refer back to a much earlier time when poses would
constitute a movement. You know, it's like just taking those key frames of
Daffy in certain poses. There are frames between, but in this understanding
of movement, a move isn't something that has parts not currently in front
of you. It isn't something spatial at all. I imagine Deleuze elaborating by
suggesting that there are these movements in something like the way there
are the Forms in Plato.

But, for my purposes here, what we get is not a lot of flicker films, but a
reading of moments in cinema of significance, according to Deleuze.

Bernie