[Frameworks] Haiti/Ito cut

FrameWorks Admin frameworks at re-voir.com
Wed Aug 26 16:07:10 UTC 2020

In fact, Teiji Ito knew Haiti well. He traveled to Haiti with Maya in 1955 and studied drumming there. He made the wire recordings for the film’s soundtrack.
He returned there several times with his fourth wife Cherel. They edited the film together.
Teiji even died in Haiti: Cherel described to me how Teiji died in her arms there, after going out for a walk. She blamed it on a Vodoun curse.

The documentary may follow an old fashioned form with a voice-over, but all the text is from Maya’s book, and the structure of the film is faithful to the research in the book.
The Itos can be faulted for removing the sequences they chose from the original rushes, thereby damaging the integrity of Deren’s raw footage. But it does respect the culture and the religion.

The original footage now belongs to Teiji Ito’s daughter Tavia, but is held by Anthology Film Archives. Disputes between them has prevented the release of the footage to Tavia for restoration. It is for this reason that we were not able to include it on our recent Maya Deren Blu-Ray release along with other unfinished films by Deren (but it does include previously unreleased session recordings of Teiji and Maya with alternate takes of the music of Meshes of the Afternoon and The Very Eye of Night).

Pip Chodorov, Re:Voir