[Frameworks] documentary conscience

David Baker dbaker1 at hvc.rr.com
Sat Aug 29 03:15:55 UTC 2020

In An Anagram of Ideas, On Art, Form And Film <https://monoskop.org/images/3/31/Deren_Maya_An_Anagram_of_Ideas_on_Art_Form_and_Film.pdf>, Maya Deren contrasts
"wholes which are the sum total of parts”
with "an 'emergent whole’… in which the parts are so dynamically related as to produce
something new which is unpredictable from a knowledge of the parts”.
She states,
"The effort of the artist is towards the creation of a logic in which two and two may make five, or, preferably fifteen;
when this is achieved, two can no longer be understood as simply two”.

The Ito’s Divine Horsemen adds up.
I love the film.
I see it as an ethnographic frame or portal
as well as an intimation of an imperiled unknown quantity,
a visionary realm whose measure has yet to be taken,
held captive in old coffee cans.

In the author’s preface to Divine Horsemen,
Maya writes,
"I had begun as an artist, as one who would manipulate the elements of a reality
into a work of art in the image of my creative integrity;
I end by recording, as humbly and accurately as I can
the logics of a reality which had forced me to recognize its integrity,
and to abandon my manipulations.”

I write only to alert this community to the existence
of something extraordinary in the realm of cinema
a capacitor with polyvalent vectors and super-natural authority.
The Unedited Haitian Footage must be considered as a discrete work of art.
I expect it will reveal itself on its own terms and in its own time.

(Pip thank you for the information regarding Tavia. I was unaware of her involvement.)