[Frameworks] Cameraless film in the university

Ruth Hayes randomruth at comcast.net
Thu Feb 13 02:43:17 UTC 2020

At The Evergreen State College we teach direct animation and cameraless film in our foundation program and in some other classes depending on the subject. As with others responding, I’ve found it a great way to bring fine arts students in to animation and media production. Also, Devon Damonte teaches a summer course here, Visual Music on 16mm and 35mm Film that involves all sorts of cameraless techniques including making photograms and hand-processing. Students appreciate the materiality of working with film and photo processes, especially if all they’ve done before is digital. It’s also a way to get them into thinking about forms beyond the narrative and single channel presentation.

Ruth

http://www.randommotion.com-
sites.evergreen.edu/ruthhayes/ <http://sites.evergreen.edu/ruthhayes/>