[Frameworks] Cameraless film in the university

lindsay mcintyre email.linds at gmail.com
Sat Feb 15 07:37:02 UTC 2020

At Emily Carr University of Art + Design I teach an Analogue Practices
course as well as an Advanced Analogue course, both of which include
extensive amounts of cameraless or handmade film. Students complete a 1-3
minute Film Destroy Project and incorporate cameraless techniques into
their own shot footage for a second longer assignment as well. It becomes a
large part of their toolkit for this particular mode of media making (which
is entirely non-commercial in focus, although there are films that include
a great deal of cameraless techniques that have had commercial success). In
a 12 or 13 week semester their first month is in cameraless. This gets them
familiar with all the infrastructure and concepts - steenbecks, projectors,
splicers, winders, optical sound, frames per second, animation, sprockets,
etc - but also gets them source material for their next assignment -
optical printing. It's a pretty popular course and students love working
this way. It is also sometimes included in foundation courses (art).

Lindsay