[Frameworks] Eclair NPR

16mm Directory info at 16mmdirectory.org
Wed Feb 19 19:09:44 UTC 2020

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 7:57 AM mariah garnett <mariah.garnett at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks Scott,
> It has a crystal sync motor. Does this mean I could just take it to an
> analog camera store or repair shop in LA?  That’s where I’m based and would
> rather not have to ship it anywhere...

Mariah,

I definitely agree with Scott, the motor can be easily detached and
serviced, though a full CLA or overhaul is likely in order. I service
my camera on regular intervals, and never let it sit for too long without
running the motor, just to keep the mechanism lubricated.

If you're in LA, I suggest trying Richard Bennett at Cinema Engineering (
http://www.cinemaengineering.com/). He can do some Eclair NPR
service, and likely has a source for parts. Also, when George retired and
Optical-Electro House shut down, Bob Allen, who used to work
at OEH with George (and has years of experience with Eclair) was continuing
to do service. It's been a few years since I had this conversation
with George, but here is the last contact I have for Bob
Allen...323-732-0607 or 310-918-9017.

Last I checked with Alan Gordon and Birns & Sawyer, they no longer had
folks around who could perform this work. Otherwise, you have
options in the midwest. Mansung (SMS Chicago) was still doing some work in
retirement, and Visual Products does service and has a cache
of NPR parts. Paul Scaglione is/was the main VP tech with Eclair knowledge.

Lastly, for motor service, try Andrew at AZ spectrum (NY). He serviced my
NPR Alcan motor a few years back, still works great. That says a
lot since nobody liked working on the Alcan motors, not even George at OEH.

Like Scott mentioned, if it's another NPR motor (
http://www.tfgtransfer.com/motors.htm), besides the Alcan, these are easy
for most techs to
work on.

Alain

> > On Feb 19, 2020, at 6:59 AM, Scott Dorsey <kludge at panix.com> wrote:
> >
> > Which motor does it have?  I am presuming the motor is the issue?  There
> > are probably more different motors available for the NPR than any other
> > camera made.  If it's one of the crystal sync motors, the electronics on
> > them aren't hard to work on and most of what goes bad are electrolytic
> > capacitors.  If it's a wild DC motor, before doing anything open up the
> > brush compartments and make sure the brushes are in good condition.
> Always
> > keep spare brushes on hand.
> > --scott

16mm Directory / 40 Frames