[Frameworks] Mac OS Catalina workaround

Matt Soar mattsoar at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 20:36:57 UTC 2020

Hi folks,

Since (very reluctantly) installing the Catalina 'upgrade' on my
recent vintage MBP, I've been able to access my older .mov video files
using VLC: https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

In VLC these .movs can be opened and converted to .m4v using VLC >
File > Convert/Stream. Unless there's DRM info in the file, you can
also manually change the extension from .m4v to .mp4

NB If the duration of the output file is much shorter than expected,
try deleting your current VLC preferences (VLC > Preferences >
Interface > Reset All) and starting again.

YMMV!

Matt