[Frameworks] Independent research- looking for recommendations

Kornelia Boczkowska kornelia.boczkowska at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 17:49:56 UTC 2020

There are numerous avant-garde and experimental films concerned with
literal representations of the body and what you decide to incorporate
in your project depends on your particular methodological approach to
the study.

You can start with consulting Ara Osterweil’s Flesh Cinema (2014), which
examines the corporeal turn in the 1960s American avant-garde film - the
notion of flesh cinema is mostly applied here to sexually explicit work
of Stan Brakhage, Yoko Ono, Barbara Rubin, Carolee Schneemann, Paul
Sharits or Andy Warhol. Another good reference is R. Bruce Elder’s A
Body ofVision (1997), which discusses the work of such filmmakers as
Bruce Conner, Stan Brakhage, Andrew Noren, Carolee Schneemann, James
Broughton, etc.

Besides, check out artists traditionally associated with the underground
Cinema of Transgression, e.g. Nick Zedd, David Wojnarowicz, Richard
Kern, Tessa Hughes-Freeland, Casandra Stark, Beth B., etc.

Some other filmmakers that reflect on the body or bodily
transformations/spectacles include MM Serra, Michael Wallin, Barbara
Hammer, Jack Smith, Barbara Rubin (Christmas on Earth), George Kuchar
(Hold Me While I’m Naked), Peggy Ahwesh and many others...

Good luck!

Kornelia

Kornelia Boczkowska, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Studies in Culture
Faculty of English | Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznań
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Kornelia_Boczkowska
https://orcid.org/0000-0003-0875-9209