[Frameworks] Book

Jonathan Walley walleyj at denison.edu
Tue Jul 7 13:44:38 UTC 2020

Dear Frameworkers,

I am pleased to announce the publication of my book, Cinema Expanded: Avant-Garde Film in the Age of Intermedia, from Oxford University Press:

https://global.oup.com/academic/product/cinema-expanded-9780190938642?lang=en&cc=us <https://global.oup.com/academic/product/cinema-expanded-9780190938642?lang=en&cc=us>

This very long book benefited substantially from discussions and debates on this very forum over many years, as well as from information, ideas, materials, time, and energy from many of this lists members. It makes a very “cine-centric” argument about expanded cinema, placing it primarily in the context of avant-garde/experimental film culture.

I’m not fishing for compliments or congratulations (nor complaints), just passing along information to any interested parties. I highly recommend the e-book version, in which the images (over 270 of them) are reproduced in color (they are BW in print) and enlargeable.

I’m especially excited that this book has been released in the same year as the 50th anniversary edition of Gene Youngblood’s Expanded Cinema. While my account differs from Gene’s, it is certainly in dialogue with that landmark book.

I beg your forgiveness for this brief eruption of self-aggrandizement.

All best wishes,
Jonathan

Dr. Jonathan Walley
Associate Professor