[Frameworks] cabin fever playlist!!

Amanda Dawn Christie amanda at amandadawnchristie.ca
Tue Mar 17 03:50:46 UTC 2020

Hey all!

I notice that the list is really pretty heavy on works created after 2000… It would be great to get some more works on there that were made in the 1920s,30s,40s,50s,60s,70s,80s, and 90s. (I guess I cold have just said 1900s or 20th century)…. I realize that maybe there is more difficult accessing transfers of that stuff, or copyright issues… and then the ethics of inluding things that were maybe posted and in violation of copyright…. Tricky-sticky territory…

But this is a pretty unique time and situation — no one can go to a cinema right now… we are in quarantines… it seems like the perfect time to temporarily make hard to find amazing, haunting, and moving experimental films available online  - if only for a limited short time during the quarantine…. A sort of online happening if you will!

If this is a playlist for students in quarantine that is to both bring comfort and educate… it would be really great if we could include some more 20th century works…. I’ve tried to add as many as I could find… but damn… so many of the early silent works have sound tracks added to them (and often bad sound tracks)… I can’t tell you the number of different “meshes of the afternoon” YouTube videos have wildly different soundtracks (and mostly bad!)… sigh… ugh…

anyway… just a thought… if there are folks who want to dig to add some older works, that would be great… or if any of these are your own works… and right now you have them password protected or only a short preview… maybe it might be worth putting the whole thing up for a limited period of time during the quarantine.

I removed my passwords just for the duration of the quarantine… maybe some other filmmakers with beautiful works made in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, who are on this list might consider temporarily making their films available online for the quarantine period, and adding them to the list…. It’s a very unique time that we are in… no one can gather in a cinema right now… so why not make an exception and share some works online in these seemingly apocalyptic times?

Just a thought.

Hoping everyone is staying healthy… wash your hands… and moisturize… dry cracked skin bleeds and that’s no good either.
Sanitize your phones, keyboards, light switches… and drink lots and lots of water.
Tea made with thyme and rosemary is good for the respiratory tract (and it’s yummy too)
Honey, lemon, ginger cloves, cinnamon, peppercorns, and fresh thyme and rosemary for the lungs.

This coming from an asthmatic who gets a lung infection almost every year…
And just recovered from a bad 2 month long one a few weeks ago… so am now self-isolating to protect myself.

Stay healthy everyone…. AND ADD SOME FILMS FROM BEFORE 2000 !!! :-)

With lots of love and soap and moisturizer,

Amanda