[Frameworks] cabin fever playlist update!

kate lain kate at katemakesfilms.com
Tue Mar 17 20:10:24 UTC 2020

Hi again, everyone!  I’m writing with an update on the "CABIN FEVER: Coping
with COVID-19 playlist of online experimental films & videos" spreadsheet.
I’m also including a bit of info to answer some questions that folks have
emailed me about.  I’ve answered those privately too but figure it could be
useful to address a few of the more popular questions in this broader forum.

As it turns out, google limits the number of people using it to 100 at any
given time, and traffic has been high, so lots of people are having trouble
accessing it or are getting kicked out when other people try to use it.  To
try to lighten the traffic and accommodate as many people as possible as
both viewers and editors, I’m asking the following:

   - If you want to access the list in more of a reading/learning capacity,
   here are a couple of options:
   OPTION 1) You can download a recent version of it from my website -
http://www.katemakesfilms.com/cabinfever/
   - right now what’s there is a snapshot (in both .pdf and .xlsx forms) of
   what the spreadsheet looked like about an hour and a half ago.  So, not
   totally updated, but hopefully it’ll suit many of your needs.
   OPTION 2) Follow the link to the spreadsheet
   <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DHealTzCR0qNkq-fbuPRd9Nzi7NSAM5HKQ84grFEFO8/edit?fbclid=IwAR0fxsIT9fKGIn3gJYLjvpMIPlK10CRfKgUhBWoeupgE9NN8yNcUCE1_u7M#gid=1522167051>
   and download it (File > Download > [select the format you want to
   download]) and then leave the spreadsheet (close the browser tab or window
   where you have it open).  This option has been frustrating some folks, so
   it might be better to just use option #1 if this option ends up being a
   pain.
   - If you want to add movies to the list, please follow the link to the
   spreadsheet
   <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DHealTzCR0qNkq-fbuPRd9Nzi7NSAM5HKQ84grFEFO8/edit?fbclid=IwAR0fxsIT9fKGIn3gJYLjvpMIPlK10CRfKgUhBWoeupgE9NN8yNcUCE1_u7M#gid=1522167051>,
   make your edits, and then close the tab or browser window so you can free
   up spaces for others trying to access it.  There are a few other notes
   below about adding movies / making edits.

The initial intention of this list was to gather some experimental films
together based on moods one might be experiencing while being cooped up.
The list has morphed some, with some great new categories being added to
the mix.  I love it!!  I do hope that the original goal of feeding
emotional needs and fostering virtual connectivity continues to be the
salient purpose of the document.

Also, I ask that we all please keep the entries limited to experimental
film and not larger independent films, television series, and studio /
commercial works.  The focus here is experimental film and video,
artist-made work.  This probably goes without saying in this forum, but as
the list has spread outside of the experimental film community, some
questions around this have come up.

A note on cross-posting: You are totally welcome to add the same movie to
multiple categories if you think it fits in multiple categories!  I ask
that you add mindfully, and do please consider whether what you are adding
does indeed work for that category.  I am not familiar with many of the
works being added, so I will not be doing any recategorizing myself.  I
thank all of you in advance for doing your own categorizing!

I’m trying to keep things alphabetical by title, so if you could add them
in being mindful of that, that’d be awesome.  (Note: for titles starting
with articles like *the*, *a*, *an*, alphabetize by the second word.)  To
add something into its alphabetical place, select the cell immediately
above or below where your film would fit alphabetically and go to Insert >
Row above or Row below.  It'll add a blank row and you can add the movie
info into that new row.  Also, out of respect for community members, if
you’re posting movies that contain material that could be sensitive to
folks, please make a note in the NOTES / CONTENT WARNINGS section.

Happy viewing to all!!

Stay safe out there,
Kate

(If you have questions or anything, you’re welcome to drop me a note
off-list.  I am needing to be away from email for good chunks of the day,
so I may not be able to reply right away, but I’ll get back to you just as
soon as I can!)