[Frameworks] 35mm Oxberry 5333 Filmstrip / Slide Stand

Mark Loeser mwloeser at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 01:36:19 UTC 2020

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the reply. I called and emailed Oxberry to no avail right before their site went down. I hope they are alright, destined to return and not just tired of old questions.

In absence of a 5333 Oxberry stand manual, let me add what we do know for anyone else to puzzle over. Pics and Oxberry docs below. Someone else has already reached out but the LoC and Int. Cinema are appreciated suggestions if I don’t get anywhere. Maybe once the viral dust has settled.

Our own 5332 stand’s manual indicates the manual for the 5333 stand has the details we lack to get our 5237 35mm slide camera accessory going. We just can’t get the film movement working, or even figure out how to disengage the sprocket wheel guide rollers for threading. Nothing is quite the same as with other Oxberry cameras. The rollers won’t swing, twist or pull out of the way but obviously must move.

The camera’s end-of-roll sensor doesn’t change our lack of film movement in either position. The torque motor works fine.

Details that are unique but unrelated to the mystery of how to get film movement:

The exterior base of the camera has a pin that depresses when mounted for either 4-perf (vertical) movement or 8-perf (lateral) movement, presumably letting the camera know how much to advance based on its position. There is no shutter control, let alone a fine control like on the animation camera.

A knob on the camera door locks a film registration pin, seemingly in absence of intermittent pin registration (as suggested by the ad linked to below). Fine for making complex, multiple exposure slides, as the camera’s designed for. It will be a chore if we force it to animate but we’ll persevere for the trick of it.

The scan below of our own manual is too low-res to make out the schematics. It also is impossible to make out all the differences between our Oxberry control console, seen on page 13, and the “combination control panel” seen on page 22. I believe they mainly differ in that the slide stand is designed for multiple exposures, exposure and frame advance controls separate, unlike our console which exposes and advances with a single button. I’ll make a better scan when our campus reopens.

Finally, I removed the back of the camera for a peek but I find the guts inscrutable.

Something to mull over in the slow days of quarantine. Why can’t we get it to run? Any thoughts are more than welcome. I’ll tinker whenever I get back on campus.

Best of health,
Mark

Oxberry Filmaker Manual & photos:

Our “Oxberry Filmaker” stand manual (a picture of the 35mm camera accessory’s dedicated stand is on the second last page):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1HLz3bpfKhWekxsd2hCMzZYSDA/view <https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1HLz3bpfKhWekxsd2hCMzZYSDA/view>

A vintage ad for our exact stand and cameras (Thanks Graeme!):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NwJVbCmUCedI5E3ek-DByoiyyypHfFiB <https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NwJVbCmUCedI5E3ek-DByoiyyypHfFiB>

Photo of the 35mm camera propped up beside our 16mm.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TjD08pLSHz_9aveQhmH_3CUF8fQN6lTu <https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TjD08pLSHz_9aveQhmH_3CUF8fQN6lTu>

A clip of the 35mm torque motor and interior in action:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hiDQ3Vui_RxHMaWsupEk-rmobKyUalJe <https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hiDQ3Vui_RxHMaWsupEk-rmobKyUalJe>

Still of the above, detailing the manual registration pin and swappable 35mm gate:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kO_829J5AVIwCEghNN30Q-oa8BX5LdaQ <https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kO_829J5AVIwCEghNN30Q-oa8BX5LdaQ>

Photo of the rear interior, wiring, etc of the 35mm camera.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-LFJwIuWjcjK62CJT37iMMl0GJBrW5B0 <https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-LFJwIuWjcjK62CJT37iMMl0GJBrW5B0>

Mark Loeser
Film Processor & Preservation Tech.
Ryerson University