[Frameworks] Quote of the Day

Francisco Torres fjtorrespr at gmail.com
Tue May 5 17:56:46 UTC 2020

Could be the American Uncle by Resnais. Which if I recall well takes a
rather conflicting and comple view of its subject. But then he was
French... ;)

''Who decides?  Who decides who decides?'' Reminds me of the final
scene of 3 days of the Condor.

The only movie about epidemics I like is The Andromeda Strain. The
third act reveal is quite a shock even after almost 50 years. In one
brief scene it manages to say so much ! but that was the 70s, SF
movies were very HEAVY. Take Rollerball, for example. Today it looks
like a reality show or the evening news. Oh well. This are sure some
messed up times I never thought I would live through some entropic
thing like this. Nuclear war? Yes. Mad Max?  Yes. But this slow motion
Ballard catastrophe? No way.
So back to the ancients for advice-
''The Way of the Samurai is found in death. Meditation on inevitable
death should be performed daily. Every day when one's body and mind
are at peace, one should meditate upon being ripped apart by arrows,
rifles, spears and swords, being carried away by surging waves, being
thrown into the midst of a great fire, being struck by lightning,
being shaken to death by a great earthquake, falling from
thousand-foot cliffs, dying of disease or committing seppuku at the
death of one's master. And every day without fail one should consider
himself as dead. This is the substance of the way of the samurai''.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo,