[Frameworks] optical soundtrack generator?

graemehogg at irational.org graemehogg at irational.org
Mon Sep 14 10:17:58 UTC 2020

Looks like a nice project, would love to see some outcomes Scott if you up
for sharing tings like this.....

I was planning on using  mmcwilliams processing scripts to print out
discrete frames onto paper (24 per second) from test audio sources that
would probably be wavs. I was then going to photograph each strip into the
soundtrack area using gates wide enough to cover this, for 16 a super 16
gate, for 35mm a full gate. (using punched paper...)

Theres a really good section in Donald McWilliams Animated musician film
about Norman McLarens projects where you see him doing this with waveform
cards, and making multiple exposures for each frame to produce 'chords'.

https://www.nfb.ca/film/norman_mclaren_animated_musician/

As someone mentioned before this would leave you with frame line 'gaps'
which would produce some kind of noise, but predictable enough to possibly
filer it out with hardware. Im not sure how this problem manifests in
McLarens films if at all...

take care.

NACHLEBEN FILM LAB AND ARCHIVE
http://www.nachleben.org.uk