[Frameworks] Cinematography position at CalArts

Charlotte lipman calipman at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 16 16:18:16 UTC 2021

Dear Frameworks,

The Program in Film and Video at the California Institute of the Arts (CalArts) seeks a full-time faculty member with an emphasis in cinematography, digital cinema production and lighting.

Faculty in the Program in Film and Video are expected to be versatile, with an ability to encourage and inspire moving image work that is not restricted to conventional genres and may include documentary, observational, narrative and experimental filmmaking. Students in the Program in Film and Video create works individually and collectively, from small to large scale. We are looking for a colleague who can guide and develop the cinematography curriculum, and we welcome applications from candidates who have significant knowledge of current cinematographic practices and who embrace a thoughtful engagement with aesthetics and critical analysis of the moving image and questions of representation. The position will require teaching courses in cinematography and lighting at introductory through advanced levels as well as courses related to the artist’s field of interest.

In particular, we seek applicants with a love of teaching, who are engaged with international cinema forms or practice and/or whose work foregrounds the diasporic experience of Black, Latinx, Indigenous, AAPI, BIPOC, LGBTQIA+, and/or Disabled communities.

CalArts seeks to employ faculty who can engage our diverse communities of learners at the highest levels of artistic endeavor and critical thinking. We welcome candidates who possess a demonstrated worldview and cultural competency to support teaching and mentoring undergraduate and graduate students of varied backgrounds, capabilities, perspectives, social identities and gender expressions. CalArts is an equal opportunity employer.

https://calarts.edu/work-for-calarts/employment-listing/cinematographerfilmmaker-with-experience-in-digital-cinema-production-and-lighting

Do reach out if you have any questions,

Charlotte Pryce Lipman

Faculty in Program Film and Video