[Frameworks] Experimental cinema and video games

Albert Alcoz albertalcoz at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 19:41:23 UTC 2021

Hello all,

Do you know experimental films or videos that use images taken from video
games?

I wanted to write something concerning the relationship between both areas
but I don't know the point of view, yet. There are some films like *Oh, I
Can't Stop!* (1976) by Zbig Rybczynski they seem to foresee the
First-Person Shooter (FPS) of known videogames as *Doom*. That could be one
point of departure, finding experimental films that could have influenced
video games.

Another approach would be to try to write about those works that use video
game images as found footage. In fact this link between these two fields
admits dozens of different analyzes, I suppose and I'm just searching to
know more about it.

Anyway, could you mention films that come to mind on this subject? Some
resources, articles or books, maybe?

Right now the list of titles I have is the following:

*Films and videos:*
*Super Mario Clouds*, Cory Arcangel
*I Shot Andy Warhol*, Cory Arcangel
*She Puppet*, Peggy Ahwesh
*Still Remember, Still Dreaming,* Phil Solomon
*Last Days in a Lonely Place*, Phil Solomon
*No No Nooky T.V.* de Barbara Hammer
*Windshield Baby Gameboy Movie*, Clint Enns
*And We All Shine On*, Michael Robinson
*The Game,* Tasman Richardson
Chris Marker's *Second Life*
*Estrecho Adventure, *Valeriano López
*Cubica*, m.ash
Harun Farocki
Joan Leandre

*Resources:*
Screening: Avant-Game program at the Melnitz Movies, Los Angeles Filmforum
Exhibition: Games for Windows: Experiments with Game Footage
Website: https://monoskop.org/Game_art
Playlist: Game over (Xcèntric):
http://xcentric.cccb.org/en/menus/fitxa/game-over-/233181

Any suggestion will be appreciated.