[Frameworks] Experimental cinema and video games

FrameWorks Admin frameworks at re-voir.com
Tue Feb 9 07:09:21 UTC 2021

I will mention a book I just read, although it focuses more on mainstream cinema than experimental film:
"Gaming Film: How Games are Reshaping Contemporary Cinema” by Jasmine Kallay 2013 Palgrave MacMillan.

The research includes interactive media, new narrative architectures, new uses of multi-screen editing, space and time, films that repeat events like levels in a game, transmedia, and hybrid experiences that combine the watching of film with the playing of games.

An interesting idea for example: film theorists using psychoanalysis, like Metz, related the viewer to pathologies like voyeurism and fetichism, the desire to watch without being seen. This book posits new pathologies for interactive media, like paranoid schizophrenia, the desire to kill every other character, the multiple selves of role playing. Other film theories are explored, such as suture when the viewer is not absent. The conclusion focuses on playable films.

- Pip Chodorov