[Frameworks] Haiku in film

Eli Horwatt ehorwatt at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 19:39:46 UTC 2021

Read Sergei Eisenstein's "The Cinematographic Principle of the Ideogram,"
here: https://www.thehaikufoundation.org/omeka/items/show/1328

Touches on shot editing and haiku as form....

The film-frame can never be an inflexible letter of the alphabet, but must
always remain a multiple-meaning.  And it can be read only in
juxtaposition, just as an ideogram acquires its specific significance,
meaning, and even pronunciation only when combined with a separately
indicated reading or tiny meaning – an indicator for the exact reading –
placed alongside the basic hieroglyph…From our point of view, [haiku] are
montage phrases. Shot lists.

-- Sergei Eisenstein