[Frameworks] Difference between

Fred Camper f at fredcamper.com
Tue Mar 2 15:53:44 UTC 2021

I've given this issue, along with that of "experimental," more thought
than it perhaps deserves.

I don't think "underground" works at all today. It only barely worked in
the 60s. It might work in a repressive country in which you could not
really show your films. Our culture, whatever one thinks of it, has
become too open and too diverse for this word. But I don't think
"avant-garde" works either. So much has been done; most filmmakers are
working within existing traditions. Nor is "experimental" of much use,
except for a minority who, for better or for worse, feel that the word
is right for them. A response to that word from one filmmaker decades
ago: "I made many experiments while working on this film. I left them
behind in my editing room. What you will see is a finished work."

On the other hand, just calling these works "films" doesn't work either;
your viewers will be for most such films be disappointed to find no
evidence of Batman, or Luke Skywalker, or similarFrame. We need a
neologism, but I have never found one.

Fred Camper
Chicago