[Frameworks] Difference between

Michael Sicinski mjsicinski at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 18:37:33 UTC 2021

Jaime, to elaborate on Fred’s point just a bit, “underground” has a very specific meaning in, say, Chinese cinema. Official films must be submitted to a CCP censorship board. Only official films get released. But there are “underground” filmmakers whose work circulates as samizdat, and is shown in unofficial festival settings. Many of the most lauded Chinese filmmakers, such as Jia Zhangke and Wang Xiaoshuai, began underground, then “became” official.

There is a somewhat similar process in Iran.

Michael Sicinski

Sent from my iPhone