[Frameworks] Tonight: Thurs March 18th 7:30pm EST Womanhouse *one night only*

mary billyou mbillyou at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 16:26:46 UTC 2021

Thurs March 18th 7:30pm EST *streaming* FREE on @spectaclenyc 's new DIY
site:

WOMANHOUSE

dir. Johanna Demetrakas, 1974

United States. 47 mins.

THURSDAY, MARCH 18 – 7:30 PM EST only at stream.spectacletheater.com

WOMANHOUSE is an historic documentary about one of the most important
feminist cultural events of the 1970s. Judy Chicago (best-known as the
creator of THE DINNER PARTY) and Miriam Shapiro rented an old Hollywood
mansion and altered its interior through decor and set-pieces to “search
out and reveal the female experience…the dreams and fantasies of women as
they sewed, cooked, washed and ironed away their lives.”

*Presented in partnership with Women Make Movies.*

playing with

EXCERPTS FROM THE A.I.R. GALLERY OPENING, 1972

dir. Hermine Freed, 1972

United States. 11 mins.

Re-edited by filmmaker Mary Billyou, this film presents footage shot at
A.I.R. Gallery’s first opening, shot by Hermine Freed. A.I.R. Gallery
(Artists in Residence) is the first all-female artist-owned cooperative
gallery in the United States. It was founded in 1972 with the objective of
providing a professional and permanent exhibition space for women artists
during a time in which the works shown at commercial galleries in New York
City were almost exclusively by male artists.

and

TAKING RESIDENCE: A SHORT HISTORY OF A.I.R. GALLERY

dir. Meredith Drum, 2012

United States. 16 mins.

This documentary was made on the occasion of the fortieth anniversary of
A.I.R. Gallery at Fales Library and the Tracey/Barry Gallery at New York
University.
Part of the series:
https://www.spectacletheater.com/womens-punk-art-making.../
<https://www.spectacletheater.com/womens-punk-art-making-party/?fbclid=IwAR3Za4ZegkY7Tmj7pz4xBS-O4NPb9V28yx24C0SNojS613yCiDK2Z_2PJ4g>
Co-curated with Mackenzie Lukenbill
Thank you to Meredith Drum and A.I.R. Gallery for their amazing videos! So
excited. Hope you can see it!

💛
Mary

--