[Frameworks] Microcinemas around the world

Darren Hughes longpauses at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 02:16:27 UTC 2021

Knoxville isn't rural or a very small town (about 400,000 people), but I
think the model we came up with for The Public Cinema
<http://www.publiccinema.org/films/> would work in most places. We've
partnered with a number of local venues that have been willing to give us
three hours for a free screening -- in most cases once per month, sometimes
more. We've used the auditorium of the Knoxville Museum of Art, a couple
music venues, and Central Cinema (a single-screen, for-profit theater that
opened after we started). At some venues we supply the projector, which we
haul with us in a Pelican case.

The key to our model is that my partner in the project, Paul Harrill, and I
raise money independently through donations and sponsorships so that we can
pay standard rental rates to filmmakers and distributors and make the
screenings free and open to the public. We volunteer our time, which we're
willing to do because we're eager to screen films in Knoxville that
wouldn't play here otherwise, and because we want to help foster the film
community here.

A couple years ago we got the attention of Big Ears festival and were
invited to curate the film program there, too. I've lost track of the
numbers of films we've screened over the past six years (300+, including
Big Ears) and we've been happy hosts to a number of Framework'rs for
screenings/installations of their work.

One of my daydreams is to establish a non-profit that raises larger sums of
money in order to seed projects like The Public Cinema in other cities.

Darren Hughes