[Frameworks] ORPHANS 2022: COUNTER-ARCHIVES (Montreal June 2022)

Matt Soar matt.soar at concordia.ca
Tue May 11 01:37:18 UTC 2021

SAVE THE DATES!

ORPHANS 2022: COUNTER-ARCHIVES

Concordia University (Montreal, Quebec, Canada)

June 15-18, 2022

Concordia University and the NYU Orphan Film Symposium join forces to
present Orphans 2022: Counter-Archives. The 13th edition of the Orphan Film
Symposium will be hosted by Concordia University and held in downtown
Montreal, June 15-18, 2022.

This biennial event brings together an international group of archivists,
scholars, artists, curators, preservationists, librarians, collectors,
distributors, documentarians, students, researchers, and others devoted to
saving, studying, and screening all manner of neglected moving image
artifacts.

What is an orphan film?
<http://www.sc.edu/filmsymposium/orphanfilm.html> “Narrowly
defined, it's a motion picture abandoned by its owner or caretaker. More
generally, the term refers to all manner of films outside of the commercial
mainstream.”

Orphans 2022: Counter-Archives is partly supported by
Archive/Counter-Archive <https://counterarchive.ca/> (A/CA), a major
research project “dedicated to activating and remediating audiovisual
archives created by Indigenous Peoples (First Nations, Métis, Inuit), the
Black community and People of Colour, women, LGBT2Q+ and immigrant
communities. Political, resistant, and community-based, counter-archives
disrupt conventional narratives and enrich our histories.”

We will be especially interested in screening film content that advances
awareness, visibility, debate, and discussion of materials similarly
devoted to neglected and marginalized communities in Canada and
internationally. We aspire to include orphaned films redressing historical
injustice in its many forms and contexts, and to embrace films that offer
marginalized communities a voice and visibility within and beyond the
Orphans platform.

Save the dates! We will be circulating a full CFP later this Spring.

Matt Soar, Orphans 2022 primary interim contact: orphanfilm at concordia.ca

Archive/Counter-Archive: https://counterarchive.ca/

NYU Cinema Studies / Orphan Film Symposium: wp.nyu.edu/orphanflim
<https://wp.nyu.edu/orphanfilm>
Dan Streible, Orphans founder: dan.streible at nyu.edu

--
Dr. Matt Soar (He/Him)
Professor / BA Programs Director / BA & Diploma Internships Coordinator