[Frameworks] Sound-centric films: excellence in sound design

jaime cleeland ethnomite at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Nov 13 22:37:45 UTC 2021

Music and sound of Saving Private Ryan(Docmate Special)

|   |    |

|   |
Music and sound of Saving Private Ryan(Docmate Special)

  |   |

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Sat, Nov 13, 2021 at 23:25, Andrew Skalak<andrew.skalak at gmail.com> wrote:   Hello everyone,
I am interested in finding films that are particularly interested in and make exceptional use of sound. I would say films that are sound-centric even: where sound is the primary device of the film above the image. In the narrative world I think the filmmaker that has best explored this is Lucrecia Martel.
A great and classic text on what I am trying to explore is Randy Thom’s 1999 essay on designing films for sound, as opposed to designing sound for film: https://www.filmsound.org/articles/designing_for_sound.htm.
I am interested in films with very rich and layered field recording; heavy, extreme, or absurd foley; innovative microphone techniques such as contact microphones, hydrophones, binaural audio, spatial audio recording; unique sound post processing, etc. If there are any films that are not necessarily sound-centric, but someone feels really struck then sonically I’m very interested in that as well.
I am also interested in films that make use of surround sound and the surround space in ways not possible in narrative films, though I may not be able to experience them online or without seeing them in a theater.
This is a narrative film, but in this realm is “Out of Tune” by Aaron With: https://vimeo.com/488308481
I’m definitely most interested in films I can watch or rent online, but any films that only exist on prints or are hard to see I am more than happy to add to a list to hopefully watch some day.
Thanks you all,Andrew
--
(563) 210-3321Cinematographer, Filmmaker - Chicago, ILCinematography Reel
www.andrewskalak.com