[Frameworks] any frameworkers in Lisbon and environs?

Eric Theise erictheise at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 22:34:49 UTC 2022

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the email and apologies for the delay in responding. Open Day
ran long but was rewarding.

Lisbon is wonderful, and my cohorts of artists have been terrific. In
March, that included three Angolan artists, an Italian filmmaker, a Spanish
painter based out of Berlin, and an American painter from DC; artists who
had little in common yet still had an exuberant month together. The deck's
been shuffled for April and I'm sure it'll be equally and unpredictably
great. Hangar itself is what you make of it; I have a million dollar view
of the castle and old city, yet booking time in the sound studio–and hoping
no one's running a vacuum cleaner while I'm recording–has been
more challenging than expected.

I'm doing "born digital" work while here although I wish I could've brought
my Bolex. And Yashica TLR: there's a scrappy wet darkroom.

All of my work while here detourns digital cartography. I'm developing
software for touch surface control, in real time, of digital maps; a sort
of "map jockeying" if you will. A performance the evening of 21 April with
live music has just been confirmed for the Hangar space and I expect I'll
travel to Porto and continue this work during a brief stay at Sonoscopia.

And I'm programming, in the JavaScript/Python sense, pieces directly. In
keeping with the zeitgeist I've started to release NFTs every two days
<https://hicetnunc.art/erictheise>, and that work draws unabashedly from
Paul Sharits' color flicker films, among other references. I'm also working
on a longer personal narrative where digital maps and globes account for
about a third of the screen time, playing an illustrative & decorative
role. Hoping to wrap that project up in the next few days.

Cheers, Eric